Saturday, August 11, 2007

Caffeine reduces cognitive decline


As I am sipping my morning latte I am thrilled to read the results of a new study just out in Neurology that suggests that caffeine may reduce cognitive decline in women without dementia. Another gulp of coffee and I am that much smarter!

French researchers report that women who drank more than 3 cups of coffee per day had less mental decline during 4 years of follow-up, compared with those who drank a cup or less. Surprisingly, no such effect was seen in men.

Women who drank more than 3 cups a day had less decline in verbal retrieval and visiospacial memory during 4 years. Since word finding (verbal retrieval) seems to be a problem at about age 50, this is good news. The participants underwent a battery of cognitive exams at baseline, 2 years and 4 years follow-up. The results were adjusted for sociodemographic and clinical variables such as age, sex, education level, use of tobacco and alcohol and symptoms of depression.

Previous studies have suggested that caffeine, which is known to have positive effects on vigilance, attention, mood and arousal, may be neuroprotective.

So you don't like coffee? Not to worry...tea had the same effect. Another "Cup a Joe" for me.

5 comments:

Rich said...

I think for men it has the reverse effect. All you need to do is read my blog to realize that.

JD said...

I was beginning to think there was nothing pleasurable that was good for health. It's nice to know I can drink cup of java and not need to feel guilty. Thanks.

Peter Swanz, ND said...

Remember that one cup is equal to eight fluid ounces. The women were likely not drinking three super big gulp / vente maximus coffee's from "insert your chain or local java shop here" loaded with sugar, diary, and artificial flavor.
Thanks for the great blog. I am happy to have stumbled upon it.

Peter Swanz, ND said...

And by diary, I mean dairy. Sorry about that...

K said...

Now, if only caffeine's diuretic qualities didn't hit me so hard! I guess I'll just resign myself to an old age full of forgetting words (even more so than at the present).