Sunday, December 30, 2007

2008 Resolutions for Patients and Doctors

#1 Doctor: Resolve to let patient speak without interruption and describe their symptoms.
Patient: Resolve to focus on the problem I am seeing the doctor about and not come with a list of 10 complaints for a 15 minute visit.

#2 Doctor: Resolve to keep a pleasant tone of voice when answering night and weekend calls from the answering service or nurses.
Patient: Resolve to get my prescriptions filled during office hours, not forget my medications while traveling and to use nights and weekend phone calls for emergencies only.

#3 Doctor:
Resolve to exercise a minimum of 4 times a week for better health.
Patient: Ditto

#4 Doctor: Resolve to train my staff and model excellent customer service for patients.
Resolve to understand that getting an instant referral, prescription, note for jury duty, letter to my insurance from the doctor is not my god-given right and I will stop bitching.

#5 Doctor: Resolve to give at least one compliment a day to my office staff, child and spouse.
Patient: Ditto

#6 Doctor: Resolve to apologize when I am late seeing a patient who has been waiting.
Patient: Resolve to not complain when the doctor is late because I understand that another human being needed attention. It might me me in the future who needs extra time.

#7 Doctor: Resolve to do one new thing a month that is novel that I would put off ( a play? travel? special activity with a child or spouse? computer skill? music? see a friend?)
Patient: Ditto

#8 Doctor: Resolve to review all insurance payers and drop contracts that are not paying market rates for my skills and education. I will not go bankrupt.
Patient: Resolve to try and understand the medical economics that require my doctor to drop my insurance. If my doctor isn't worth paying a little more for the visit I will find a new doctor.

#9 Doctor: Resolve for each new prescription I write I will explain 5 things. The name of the medication. The reason for the medication. The side effects. How to take it. And how long to take it.
Patient: Once the doctor has prescribed a medication, I will take it as prescribed.

#10 Doctor: I will give thanks that I have a wonderful profession where I can help people in a special way.
Patient: I will not underestimate the many years of training and sacrifice my doctors have gone through and I will appreciate that they are trying their hardest to help me stay healthy.


Nadlo said...

Happy New Year, Dr. T and thanks for a great post.

smalltowndoc said...

Thoughtful resolutions. Makes you want to follow it though it is going to be difficult. Thank you for reducing many people's time to think and re-invent these resolutions.

Rebelde said...

Happy New Year

Collin said...

Quite useful data, thank you for this article.
youtube to mp3

Louis Bush said...

Preceding few days I enormously desired Thesis writing help. Subsequent to really prolonged hunt I discovered write my paper after that they do precisely the things I sought. accordingly guys you in fact must examine write my assignment for me