Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Giving Thanks



The darkness has settled in on this Christmas Day and the dishes are almost done. Wrapping paper is in the recycle can, the dog and cat are sleeping and everything is peaceful. For this and many things, I give thanks:

  • That my family is relatively well and my son's strept throat (or could it be mononucleosis?) has turned the corner.
  • That I am a physician and can actually treat these illnesses on holidays without bothering another doctor.
  • That we are warm and have a nice home and a full refrigerator...something 3/4 of the world's population does not have.
  • That my mom is still alive and has a good man to spend her life with.
  • That I am a physician and can offer a healing touch to others.
  • That my husband is a great partner and loving person.
  • That I live in a place with trees, the ocean, mountains and beauty.
  • That I am blessed with fantastic and interesting friends.
  • That we have great garbage pickup. I can't imagine life without it.
  • That Steve Jobs invented the ipod.
  • That my patient got better and was discharged from the hospital so I didn't need to go in and make rounds.
  • That there is a free application called "stat counter" that lets me see where people come from that have visited my blog. Hello Iceland, South Africa, Ireland and Australia. Greetings Botswana, Isle of Man, Canada, Jordan and Brazil. It is a miracle that we can all communicate with each other.
  • That "This American Life" on NPR is a free podcast since I never get to hear it when it is on the radio. I love it.
What do you count as your blessings? It is cathartic to really think about it. Merry Christmas!

3 comments:

nancyatarts said...

Happy New Year to you and thanks for your thoughtful, always hopefilled writings. You evoke an ever higher standard for physicians in the Bay Area.

nancyatarts said...

We have recently heard there may be a "shingles" vaccine - true??
If so who should have the shot and at what age?

Toni Brayer MD said...

Thank you, Nancyatarts. Yes, there is a shingles vaccine called Zostavax (2006) and it is recommended for people over age 60 to prevent shingles and the after effects of shingles (post herpetic neuralgia). There have been no serious side effects from the vaccine. The cost is not covered by Medicare but it is available in most primary care doctor's offices.