I think Americans that are in a Union have pretty good health insurance overall because the unions use health coverage as one of their bargaining chits for employer based coverage. If you have AFL-CIO coverage, you are probably not one of the 47 MILLION uninsured! You also don't have Medicaid.
So I was surprised to find a survey of more than 26,400 Americans, conducted by the AFL-CIO found that people are fed up with U.S. health care. Half of the respondents said they were union members, others were family members or self insured. I see this as the famous middle class. Because it was an online survey, they at least had computer access, and were working Americans. Listen up, Washington...the people have had it!
Among the findings:
- 95% said the health care system in the U.S. needs fundamental change or overhaul
- 46% reported spending $1000-$5000 in out-of-pocket costs over the past year
- 48% said they or a family member stayed in a job just for the health insurance
- Nearly 1/3 said their insurance company refused to cover a medical treatment that should have been covered.
- 97% said they plan to vote in the upcoming election