Monday, April 21, 2008
Basic Genetics Quiz
Genetics and genomes are in the news every day. Genetics is the study of how human characteristics are inherited from one's parents. Since my son is studying genetics now in Science, here is a quiz to test your basic knowledge. The answers will be posted tomorrow. Have fun, and no "googling."
1. Genes are contained in a person's cells. About how many genes are in each human cell?
2. What is the chemical that genes are made of that carries the genetic instructions for making living things?
3. Humans have 23 pairs (46 total) of packets of genes in a cell. What are these packets called?
4. When DNA is altered or changes, it is called a m________.
5. The order of nucleotides in DNA that produce specific sequences of amino acids is known as the____________ code.
6. The inherited pre-disposition to getting a medical disease (cancer, heart disease, certain mental illnesses, cystic fibrosis) is called a trait. These diseases can also be influenced by the ________________.
How did you do? Check back tomorrow for answers.
Posted by Toni Brayer, MD at 9:45 PM