Friday, June 13, 2008

Answer-Medical Challenge

The answer to the necrotic finger is #1 Thromboangiitis obliterans.

This is a vaso-occlusive disease that involves small- and medium-sized vessels of the upper and lower extremities. It is strongly associated with tobacco use. An angiogram of this patient's right hand demonstrated multiple chronic occlusions of the digital branches of the small arteries that were unresponsive to IV vasodilators, supporting the diagnosis of thromboangiitis obliterans.

  • Marantic Endocarditis is deposits of non-bacterial vegetations on the heart valves.
  • Brachial Entrapment Syndrome is muscular enlargement or compression in the arm that presses on arteries and nerves.
  • Kawasaki Disease affects children and is a vasculitis that affects many organs like the heart, lymph nodes, and causes skin rashes.
  • Takayasu disease is a rare arteritis that affects mainly the aorta.
Thanks for taking the challenge! Don't you feel smarter now?


tracey said...

I love these quizzes. I rarely get it right because I actually know the answer - usually it's either dumb luck or Google, but every once in awile those episodes of Emergency Room! I watched as a kid or the one season Greys Anatomy serve me well. >: )

Toni Brayer MD said...

Tracey, these quizzes are aimed at full fledged doctors so they are supposed to be challenging even WITH a medical education. I think they are interesting and you learn how complex the human body really is. Thanks for commenting.

tracey said...

Just stopped by - again - and noticed "Random Books from my Library'. I read "Night" by Elie Wiesel - I have the trilogy - VERY powerful - and just bought "Middlesex" at the Used Book Sale at my local library. Don't know much about the book - the librarian recommended it - what did you think?

Toni Brayer MD said...

Tracey, you're gonna love Middlesex.