There is a lot to be said for the seasoned clinician. The gray haired physician with years of experience and wisdom and a noble demeanor. But I am here to say...I want to see some young doctors in my medical community who love practicing medicine.
Here is what young physicians bring to Medicine:
- Availability (I am tired of referring my favorite patients to the ortho, or rheumatologist or neurologist and being told there is a 6 week wait)
- Availability (I am tired of having to beg a consultant to see a patient)
- Follow up consult note (When I take the time to send my work up notes, call ahead and arrange the appointment...I would like a follow up note from the consultant)
- Curiosity and interest ( I am a comprehensive internist and I only send patients who are a medical challenge. I want a doctor who is curious and interested in figuring things out. After the tests are done, I would like the consultant to work with me and the patient and come up with a solution, not just tell the patient to phone me to interpret the tests that he ordered.)
- Eagerness (I want a consultant who is happy to see my patients. Not someone who is burned out!)
- Humbleness (this may not be age related but I've sure seen my share of egocentric specialists)