Thursday, July 31, 2008

AMA protests Nazi Dr. Award


Evey so often the American Medical Association gets it right! They have formally protested a German association of internists who awarded a former Nazi SS member and alleged war criminal, Dr. Hans-Joachim Swereing, a medal.


In 1993, Dr. Swereing stepped down as president of the World Medical Association due to controversy that he participated in a euthanasia program at Schonbrunn Sanitarium near Dachau from 1942-45. As a member of the Nazi SS, his signature is on documents that sent 900 children with disabilities to a "healing center" where they were killed.


Now, the German organization has given him a prestigious award for "his contributions to freedom of the medical profession".


Kudos the the AMA for taking a strong stand against this. I went through a reading spree on "Bad Nazi Doctors" recently and I pray the freedom of the medical profession never sinks that low again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why didn't they take away his medical license?
I don't get how someone in a healing profession could do what Nazis did to children or adults.

I used to have a neighbor who experienced 19 of her relatives being killed by Nazis.
Kellie

Schmutzie said...

You are being featured on Five Star Friday:
http://www.fivestarfriday.com/2008/08/five-star-friday-edition-17.html

James said...

Ok, so we should condemn the Nazi's. Great, I'm all for that. Should we condemn those whoes only fault is failure to condemn the Nazis? Alright fine, I guess I'm on board for that too. But let's leave it there, shall we? If we have to start condemning everyone who fails to condemn those who fail to condemn the Nazi's, I'm going to lose my mind.