Thursday, August 14, 2008

Make A Difference


A comment on my post about volunteering in Honduras caught my eye. (Actually I obsessively read all comments so keep them coming!)

The comment was:
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wouldn't it be great if we all spent some of our vacation time in endeavors like this? And wouldn't we be living then with a higher purpose...and positively ...and with more motivation.... Please indicate on your blog how we might all do work here or elsewhere in little paradises like that... help lead the way for us...

My reply is that you don't need to go to exotic places, or practice medicine, or be rich, or belong to an organization to make a difference. There is a great movie called "Pay it Forward" about the ripple effect of kindness and generosity. It really doesn't matter what you do. Just do SOMETHING.
Make a conscious effort to do one unexpected act or favor a week for someone else. Leave a bigger tip than usual for a minimum wage worker. (And please always always tip the maid at a hotel. They are invisible and work harder than anyone.) Help a mom struggling with kids to put her groceries in the car...Let the impatient, hassled person cut ahead of you at the grocery store...Volunteer at the homeless food pantry in your community...log on to Women for Women International and adopt a sister in war ravaged Congo.

I am not trying to sound preachy but opportunities are all around us if we look. And one of the best things you can do for a 3rd world country is travel there and spend your money as a tourist. You also return with an appreciation of how good we really have it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great tips and I loved that movie. Thanks!

Rich said...

I didn't like that movie much as the ending was kind of sappy.

Toni Brayer MD said...

Rich: Sappy for us saps. hahaha

Anonymous said...

I guess I'm a sap too I enjoyed the whole premis of this movie as well.

tienda muebles madrid said...

It can't work in fact, that is exactly what I believe.