Saturday, September 6, 2008

Tyson will Stop Saying Their Chickens are Antibiotic Free


A federal judge issued a preliminary injunction against Tyson Foods last April and ordered them to withdraw advertisements claiming their chickens "are raised without antibiotics that impact antibiotic resistance in humans." Tyson said it would appeal that decision.

Tyson Foods now states it will "voluntarily' withdraw its labels for chickens raised without antibiotics because of what it called "uncertainty and controversy over product labeling regulations."

Tyson says its claims "raised without antibiotics" is true, even though they inject eggs with antibiotics and used antibiotic molecules in the chicken feed. Inspectors found they used Gentamycin, an antibiotic commonly used in humans, to inject eggs before they hatch.

Talk about deception! If I want antibiotic free poultry (AND I DO!), I want to know that the advertising really means ANTIBIOTIC FREE.

1 comment:

Healthnut said...

Whether they are antibiotic free or not, I am very careful as to where I purchase my chicken. I look for strong bones like this:

(all on one line)
http://healthnut.buddyslim.com/2008/09/09/signs-of-a-healthy-chicken/

Most chickens sold in the supermarket have hock burns, which should not be fit for human consumption. So maybe antibiotics is a safe precaution to humans.