Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Be Happy by Hanging with Other Happy People

I love the article in the New York Times today on contagious happiness. A study in the British Medical Journal (love those Brits!) showed that emotions are a collective condition and the mood of other people...even people who are not your friends...has a major impact on your own mood.

Researchers have previously found that obesity and smoking are socially contagious and now happiness too may be influenced more by who you associate with, than by anything else.

I have observed that people who hang together and bitch about everything end up feeling worse just because they are in proximity with other unhappy people. Everyone is talking about the current lousy economy and it makes all of us even more worried and depressed.

What if we stopped talking about it and just hung around with people who were happy and light-hearted. According to this study, we would all feel better and be happier.

1 comment:

joshua said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.