Sunday, December 28, 2008

My Baby has Pink Eye




Dear Dr. T:
My baby is only 10 weeks old and this morning she had crust in her eye and it was stuck shut. It is Sunday and I just lost my insurance so I don't have a regular pediatrician and I don't want to pay for an emergency room visit. Is there anything I can do?
Erin

Dear Erin:
It sounds like your baby has conjunctivitis (aka: pink eye). It can be caused by a bacteria or a virus and sometimes in newborns it can be a blocked tear duct. Use warm water to soak the eye and help remove the crust. Conjunctivitis will usually resolve within about 7 days but it is contagious so strict hand washing and keeping the baby away from others is essential. You do not need to rush to an emergency department on a Sunday (where the bill will likely be hundreds of dollars), but you should still have a pediatrician for your newborn. The cost of an office visit us usually affordable so have your baby examined this week. The pediatrician may prescribe eye drops to clear up an infection and he can also check for a blocked tear duct.
Dr. T

6 comments:

fat burners said...

Thanks for advice on conjunctivitis. I really didn't know what to do.

Invertir en oro said...

I think it's important that we all know a little about this subject so interesting, I think it's part of human culture tell us about such things.
Invertir en petroleo

Penis Enlargement said...

These kind of post are always inspiring and I prefer to read quality content so I happy to find many good point here in the post, writing is simply great, thank you for the post

Triactol said...

Just keep that eye clean and in a week or so everything should be fine. Hope this helps.

www.espa�a-3d.com said...

I totally agree with the article.

www.alicante-3d.com said...

I fully agree with whatever thing you have presented.