Friday, January 30, 2009

More on Octuplets


Thanks to KM for alerting me to information that continues to unfold about the mother of the octuplets born in Southern California this week. It is really hard to believe...

The mom is 33 years old, unmarried and already has 6 children between the ages of 7 and 2. She has one set of twins and...are you ready for this...she lives with her parents in a 3 bedroom home. Also, the grandparents filed for bankruptcy last year.

So there will soon be 14 children and 3 adults living in the home. And, according to the grandmother, she did have in-fertility treatment for blocked fallopian tubes. That would mean that she had in-vitro transfer (implantation) of embryos.

The American Society of Reproductive Medicine considers it grossly unethical to implant 8 embryos and many experts are speaking out against fertility help at all for a woman with six children. In Germany and Italy, there is a limit of 3 embryos that can be implanted. In the U.S., there are standards but no real prohibitions or laws against fertility clinics behavior.

How this woman could afford IVF and who would actually perform it are still mysteries. There is no question that this case is highly unethical and should never have happened.

What do you think? Should personal freedom extend this far? Should Fertility Clinics follow the wishes of patients?

11 comments:

Catherine D said...

What was she thinking? On one hand we really don't want to limit any kind of personal freedom, but perhaps it would be wise for fertility clinics to act like adoption agencies - whereby they come by to assess the parent as to whether they are in a healthy enough situation to be given and to raise an adopted child. I mean, adoption agencies wouldn't give 8 children out willie nillie, would they. They carefully place children in the right homes. Well, isn't placing an embryo in the right "home" kind of the same thing?

tracy said...

Excellent thoughts, Catherine.

Catherine D said...

Now that I think about - I think you should send an agency over to the house the of book winners to make sure it is a suitable home for the book contest book ---- I think my house would pass muster LOL

Anonymous said...

Catherine: Maybe the book contest winners should do their book review of the book and the favorite tip they learned from it and post it in the comment place of the winner announcement.

I did not win but entered and think it was a fun contest. I might buy the book though Amazon based on Dr.Brayer's review of it. (my local Boarders, Barnes & Noble and Indipendent book store don't carry it)

Catherine D said...

Good idea anonymous! This has inspired me to offer somehting on my blog as well - I just have to think of the perfect thing.....

ERP said...

I heard about this story with horror. Apparently the Grandmother said her daughter is "obsessed with having babies". The doc that implanted these 8 should be publicly shamed in the stocks.

Toni Brayer MD said...

ERP: You've heard about the crazy cat ladies? Maybe this is the crazy baby lady. I don't mean to joke. It is serious and very weird.

PaulsHealthblog.com said...

I saw this the other evening on television, and I was just stunned.

My wife and I have a 22 month old son, and he is all we can handle!

KM said...

I think instead of having so many she should have just become a primary school teacher.

I read in SFGATE that she started a masters program to get her graduate degree in counseling.

When a patient can't financially support the children and babies she already has there should be a rule or law for the doctor to decline performing the procedue.

tracy said...

Catherine D Re the book winners..hee, hee! You have a blog? Is it a private one? 'Cause i can't seem to get to it.

Rich said...

What a country - only in America!