Wednesday, March 25, 2009
New Medical Challenge
Here is this weeks medical challenge from the New England Journal of Medicine. You be the doctor.
This patient is from Tunisia (North Africa on the Mediterranean) and this is what her ear looks like. What is the diagnosis? (These are all infectious diseases)
1. Leprosy (a mycobacterium)
2. Leishmaniasis (a protozoa from the bite of a sand fly)
3. Syphilis (a sexually transmitted spirochete bacterium)
4. TB (another mycobacterium)
5. Yaws (a spirochete bacterium transmitted by skin to skin contact)
Give your best shot and I'll post the answer tomorrow. This is how you get smarter.
We spotted a Coyote in our backyard, laying near some outdoor lawn chairs. When we approached she did not jump up and run, as would be...
image from myaspiebrain Nothing like experiencing a medical condition first-hand to really help a doctor understand it from the patient...
The answer to yesterday's Image Challenge was #2 - Fordyce's angiokeratomas. Like many unusual medical names, the condition was...
Hey, I'm easing back into the blog world after a fun trip to NYC. If you are a Doctor or ever thought you'd enjoy the world of Med...