Wednesday, March 25, 2009
New Medical Challenge
Here is this weeks medical challenge from the New England Journal of Medicine. You be the doctor.
This patient is from Tunisia (North Africa on the Mediterranean) and this is what her ear looks like. What is the diagnosis? (These are all infectious diseases)
1. Leprosy (a mycobacterium)
2. Leishmaniasis (a protozoa from the bite of a sand fly)
3. Syphilis (a sexually transmitted spirochete bacterium)
4. TB (another mycobacterium)
5. Yaws (a spirochete bacterium transmitted by skin to skin contact)
Give your best shot and I'll post the answer tomorrow. This is how you get smarter.
image from myaspiebrain Nothing like experiencing a medical condition first-hand to really help a doctor understand it from the patient...
Hey, I'm easing back into the blog world after a fun trip to NYC. If you are a Doctor or ever thought you'd enjoy the world of Med...
I love learning something new in medicine and this was a new one for me...black spot poison ivy. Poison ivy (also known as rhus dermatitis...