Friday, June 19, 2009

Nestle Cookie Dough Recalled


Is nothing sacred? Are there no simple joys in life that we can count on? It turns out Nestle Toll House Cookie Dough has been recalled because...are you ready for this?...they found the bacteria E. coli in it. Yes, E. coli, that little bacteria that causes gastroenteritis with cramping and diarrhea somehow got into the cookie dough.

The health department in Washington State found the link after 28 states reported outbreaks. It's amazing that they were able to track it back to cookie dough, but sure enough when they went back to investigate other victims, they had indeed eaten the raw dough.

It turns out you should never eat the dough without cooking it and baked cookies are not infected. I used that cookie dough a week ago for a school function and, I must admit, I did sample a bit of it as I was cooking. I think I might have had some GI symptoms afterward....hmmmmmm.

5 comments:

tracy said...

Oh, dear. Hope you are okay, Dr. Brayer.

That is when the cookies are at their best...in the dough state!

Toni Brayer MD said...

tracy: I'm just fine...rock hard GI system! Too bad about the cookie dough. I really did like it raw.

Kellie said...

Cookie dough is the best part of baking those cookies. I loved tasting the dough. But remember being told it is to do with the raw eggs in the dough that is not good for you and if you eat too much can make you sick. I wonder if they are also recalling that good cookie dough ice cream?

tracy said...

i thought about cookie dough ice cream too...maybe the so called "dough" isn't made with eggs....

Beastarzmom said...

I usually have GI symptoms after baking cookies too. But I suspect it's more the volume that's consumed rather than the fact that it's cookie dough...