Sunday, July 19, 2009

Airport Food

First it was the indignity of having to take off my shoes and walk on a dirty floor just to get through security at the airport. Add to that, the inability to pack a nice healthy meal to get you through a day and night of flying because you can't get it through security. As much as I would like to avoid airport food, even short flights require long stretches of time spent in the airport. There is no way to avoid eating airport food and that is bad for your health.

Some airports have a food court with some choices...if you are lucky enough to be in that terminal. Today I was not so lucky.

Hungry during a layover, I had only a few choices. I stopped in at the "bagel haven" and found a chicken sandwich (on a bagel of course). It actually had the calorie count at a whopping 1250! I don't even like chicken on bagels so that didn't seem like a good choice. I cruised down to the "deli" and found it was closed. The "pub" offered chili, pizza, hamburgers and beer. Pass!

What is a hungry traveler, who wants a decent, low cal, healthy meal to do? I ended up getting a burger king whopper (680 cal) much to my dismay. There were just no other choices.

It is no wonder we have an obesity epidemic. Our society is not conducive to healthy eating and cheap fast food is everywhere. Does anyone else agree with me that a great organic salad bar would be a huge hit at the airport?


Healthnut said...

An organic salad bar is great idea, but are people willing to pay more?

The problem is people want cheap food that is subsidized by the government. They don't want to pay $1-$3.50/lb. for fresh fruits and vegetables.

Linda Leighton said...

That would be wonderful!! It seems as though most of the food choices are too fatty, salty or sugary! Throw in my gluten sensitivity too, and I often am in the same situation. I would be happy to pay more to eat right!

chrissoup said...

For flights that originate from home, this works fine:
We bring from home pb+j or tuna on bread, plus carrots and celery. Alternatives include almonds or other nuts, dried fruit, and fresh fruit. All of these things are OK to take through security because they're neither liquid nor jell (we've done it many times). We take empty water bottles through security and fill them in the bathroom before we get on the plane.

Toni Brayer MD said...

chrissoup: I never thought of that and didn't know you could get the food through. Great tips and thanks!

Anonymous said...

You might want to check on the pb and jelly as well as some of the fruit, Chrissoup. When I asked security in Detroit if I could bring those things in, they nixed it because bananas and pb & jelly could be made mushy and gel-like.
But you're right. There is no healthy food at airports. I've taken to bringing packets of oatmeal and getting /paying for hot water.

tracy said...

If there was a Mc Donalds, they may have had their salads with grilled chicked and a lowfat dressing. i find i usually don't even eat all of the chicked nor use all of the dressing. i'm not sure if the airport Mc D's have the salads, though. (i r a r e l y eat any fast food anyhow.) Just a thought for your next trip.

K said...

I can remember a layover in Phoenix where the only thing that seemed even vaguely healthy was a chicken sandwich at a Philly Cheesesteak franchise. That thing made me deliciously nauseous when we got on the plane, and I spent a good 45 minutes with my head on my husband's lap, trying not to die (so to speak).

I guess I'm just saying, airport food is very sad. Whenever I need something to eat, I go with something light and not too likely to mess with me (e.g., Wheat Thins).