Sunday, July 19, 2009

Is There A doctor On This Plane?


I was on a flight to Alaska (for a medical meeting) and the flight attendant came on the intercom "Is there a doctor on the plane? We need assist for a passenger." If you read my blog on Doctors as Good Samaritans, you already know my hand went up. This is the first time I've done an airplane rescue.

The 82 year old gentlemen was in first class (Alaska Airline first class is like coach..not very roomy), traveling to a cruise with his wife. He had gotten up to go to the bathroom and almost collapsed.

Doctors can assess a situation very quickly by just LOOKING at the patient. He was sitting in a seat, conscious, but pale and clammy. Pulse not detectable. Able to speak but not able to really give me a good history. A quick look at his chest as I unbuttoned his shirt told me he had had major cardiac surgery (Chest zipper sign). That already told me a lot.

First questions; "Are you having chest pain?" "No". "Are you nauseated?" "No". Blood pressure was difficult due to plane noise but was low...95 systolic. For older people we want to see that pressure at least over 110.

We put some oxygen on him and he started looking a little better. Wife told me he was a diabetic and she had his test kit so we quickly got a finger stick glucose...280. That's high but not the cause of the problem. I would have been concerned if it were below 100 (hypoglycemia).

My assessment was helped tremendously by the fact that his wife had a MEDICATION LIST. I could quickly rule out certain diagnoses with a quick glance at his medications. Insulin, Coumadin (that ruled out a pulmonary embolus or blood clot), Blood pressure meds, high cholesterol meds, potassium, arthritis, gout. There were about 15 different medications and I was told he had taken them in the morning.

According to his wife, they had been traveling all day, had been going through airports in a wheelchair. He was fine until he tried to stand up.

The patient got his color and cognition back with the oxygen and a little orange juice. I spoke via phone to the captain and a ground EMT. I stayed with him to make sure all was well for over an hour and decided the plane did not need to do an emergency landing nor did we need an ambulance at the destination. I stayed with him getting off the plane (last) and made sure his wheelchair was ready, transport was there and that he would go directly to an Emergency department in Anchorage for an EKG and labs before setting off on the cruise the next day.

The whole event had a satisfactory outcome and I hope he just had a syncopal episode because he is a frail guy traveling. I advised him he probably needs oxygen all the time because when he exerted himself, he got a little pale again. A full blown assessment was indicated.

I went back to my cramped seat in coach and ate my pretzels. Just another day!

11 comments:

Kellie said...

Huge WOW!! I LOVE this post that is great you helped him. I remember the Good Samaritan blog. That man was extremely lucky to have you on his plane Dr. Brayer!! It must have been harder to examine him in that small area with so much noise.
Interesting added extra stress and pressure to have the decision about an emergency landing for the whole plane in your hands. Good for you for volunteering when you have said in the past that some physicains can be reluctant to get involved because of being sued.

Anonymous said...

Bravo, Dr. B. What an interesting story.

Raymond Bouchayer said...

I would think that the amount of meds this passenger was taking and his age was enough to make him pass out if not ...die !15 different meds ? whoa !
But he had an Angel on board !.

Linda Leighton said...

WOW!!!! Good for you!

therese said...

You really have a good heart doc!

Anonymous said...

I'm a doc but not an emergency medicine physician. I'm not sure if I would have been as brave as you and raised my hand when asked. It was very nice of you to act as you did and was probably reassuring to the passenger, his wife and to the flight crew. But when you look back at what happened, did a doctor really need to be there? what was done by you to the patient that could not have been done by a non-physician? I think you are lucky that the man did not decompensate further, because then the expectations to do something would be higher, but there is probably not much you can do for him on an airplane that is not equipped to handle an unstable patient.

sildenafil said...

Sometimes we should know some technique when we're in an specific situations because not all time we can get a Doctor in a plane, that's the reason I've taken some curses to help others.m10m

Invertir en oro said...

I think it's important that we all know a little about this subject so interesting, I think it's part of human culture tell us about such things.
Invertir en petroleo

seositeden.blogspot.com said...

So, I do not really suppose this is likely to work.

www.soria-3d.com said...

I saw really much useful information above!

Cheap Logo Design said...

wow i like this interesting blog so cool thanks for posting and i will share this to my friends..keep it up