Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Health Email Scams

The people who send fraudulent scams and viruses are sinking to a new low. I got a message today on my email network that has super firewalls. Despite that, the email from Mrs. Lauren Smith arrived and was titled "Please Read Carefully".
The message, directed to Dr. Brayer, caught my attention. It read:

My name is Mrs. Lauren Smith, a 66 year old lady, and I have been diagnosed with lung cancer and the doctor said that it is a disease of uncontrolled cell growth in tissues of the lung. This growth has lead to the invasion of adjacent tissue and infiltration beyond my lungs. The doctor has told me that I would not last for long due to my condition. Having to know my present condition, I have willed and given most of my property and assets to my immediate and extended family members as well as a few close friends.

I have now decided to give away my personal jewelry box for a non profit cause. I was a collector of gold jewelry for the past 30 years. I am willing to give this to a non profit group. Let me know how this would benefit your cause.

Best Regards,
Lauren Smith"

I suppose had I clicked on the attachment or hit reply I would have crashed my computer or infected a virus.

Another email also arrived from a Dr. Jennifer Allen and this one wanted to donate veterinary equipment (1 ultrasound and 1 autoclave) to "my work".

Can't wait to see what kind of wacky emails I get tomorrow.

A good site that talks about email scams is here.


Anonymous said...

I wonder if these come from Nigeria. You can tell they are foreign by the language and strange syntax. I can't believe people still fall for these scams but apparently they do. Never open an attachment from someone you don't know. Thanks for the link. It is really interesting.

ERP said...

Of course I assume you provided your social security number to the "prince" from Nigeria?

Cary said...

I would gladly volunteer if they'd round up these people and have them shot by citizen firing squads.

Anonymous said...

I replied with a short response with "Yeah, thanks." cause if they are donating money our rescue could use it lol. I got an email back asking for my full name, contact phone & address. They told me they can't use the phone, email only. She said the jewelry box is worth $50,000. I'm not replying anymore, wayyy to sketch for me.