Friday, January 15, 2010

Haiti Disaster


I am so frustrated about the disaster in Haiti and have been actively engaged in relief efforts for the past 60 hours. I have been asked to lead the efforts for helping Haiti for my employer, a large hospital provider of health care in Northern California. I am proud to say that within the first 72 hours, Sutter Health has committed $1 million to Doctors with-out Borders and $250K to MedShare to get needed medical supplies to Haiti. Both organizations are on the ground providing this help right now and we chose them as partners because they can get the job done.

Getting needed professional help to Haiti is another story. The outpouring of volunteers wanting to help is huge. Our employees and doctors, nurses, engineers and computer experts are ready and willing to volunteer. But at this time the destroyed infrastructure makes sending this needed help impossible.

I know from my experience on the ground at Katrina that volunteers cannot just "show up". Volunteers need food, housing, transportation, meaningful deployment to areas of need. It stresses an already fragile system to have well-meaning people just milling about. What was lacking at Katrina is even more absent in Haiti...a well coordinated relief effort.

The situation in Haiti is much more dire than other disasters because Port au Prince was the capital and there is no functioning government. The port is closed and the airport is now under U.S. military guidance. That is a good start but bringing volunteers in by plane is impossible. They have no fuel for planes on the ground and no control tower.

I will spend the weekend continuing to investigate partnerships in Haiti. I have been in contact with a number of Haitian physicians and hospitals that are overflowing with patients. They need the help that we can provide, especially surgical teams. The logistics are a challenge.

14 comments:

KM said...

That is impressive. They couldn't have chosen a better physician to lead the efforts. I remember your deep heartfelt blogs about Kartina.
I guess they must be using boats and helicopters to get people in and out.

Susan said...

What a nightmare! Don't you think something like hospital ships would be the solution? Is there any way to get navies involved...get a big old ship over there, it could act like a floating hotel, among other things.

CountryMidwife said...

thank your for your hard work. I too so wish there was more I could do.... my heart breaks...

link wheel said...

Fantastic publish! This might aid a lot of people find out about this matter. Do you want to incorporate video clips along with these? It could undoubtedly assist out. Your reason was spot on and owing to you; I probably will not have to describe every little thing to my pals. I can merely direct them here. Anyway, in my language, there will not be much good supply like this.

linkwheel said...

Hey cool weblog, just questioning what anti-spam software program you employ for feedback as a result of i get heaps on my blog. Anyway, in my language, there usually are not a lot good source like this.

sim so dep said...

Your weblog is fine. I just want to touch upon the design. Its too loud. Its doing manner an excessive amount of and it takes away from what youve bought to say --which I think is basically important. I dont know in case you didnt suppose that your words might hold everyones attention, however you had been wrong. Anyway, in my language, there are not much good supply like this.

so dep said...

Can I make a suggestion? I think youve bought something good here. But what should you added a pair links to a page that backs up what youre saying? Or possibly you would give us one thing to look at, something that would join what youre saying to something tangible? Only a suggestion. Anyway, in my language, there will not be much good source like this.

sim dep said...

Assets just like the one you talked about here might be very helpful to me! I will submit a link to this page on my blog. I am positive my guests will discover that very useful. Big thanks for the helpful info i discovered on Domain Information Anyway, in my language, there should not much good source like this.

so dep said...

Tampoco estaría mal que las películas se pasasen en sus idiomas originales, así oiríamos las autenticas interpretaciones y no las de unos actores españoles. Y que los productores hiciesen las películas con su propio dinero y no con el de los españolitos, si así fuese las películas serían más cercanas al gusto del público.

sim số đẹp said...

Hello, I saw a three of your attention-grabbing posted posts and needed to ask in the event you would be interested in reciprocal pages? Crew have weblog about alexis texas ass! Anyway, in my language, there usually are not much good supply like this.

Sim 10 so said...

Great write-up, I am a big believer in commenting on blogs to help the weblog writers know that they?ve added something worthwhile to the world wide web! (source roblox-cheats.com). Anyway, in my language, there should not much good supply like this.

Sim viettel 10 so said...

I was more than happy to seek out this site.I wanted to thank you for this nice read!! I definitely having fun with each little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. Anyway, in my language, there usually are not a lot good source like this.

Sim viettel said...

Your weblog is fine. I just wish to comment on the design. Its too loud. Its doing way an excessive amount of and it takes away from what you received to say --which I feel is basically important. I dont know if you happen to didnt suppose that your phrases could maintain everyone attention, however you had been wrong. Anyway, in my language, there aren't a lot good source like this.

Sim viettel so dep said...

Can I make a suggestion? I think youve got something good here. But what if you happen to added a couple links to a page that backs up what youre saying? Or perhaps you could possibly give us something to take a look at, something that might join what youre saying to one thing tangible? Just a suggestion. Anyway, in my language, there will not be much good supply like this.