Saturday, January 2, 2010

Medical Recap of 2009


With over 670,000 published medical studies each year, doctors and patients have information overload. That's where EverythingHealth comes in. We keep up with the latest...so you don't have to read thousands of medical journals. It is as important to know what doesn't work, as it is to know what does. Save your money and save your body from unnecessary surgery. From 2009, here are a few bits of info you might find interesting:
  • Ginkgo Biloba- doesn't improve memory or cognitive function. A very well done study, published in JAMA, finally puts this supplement to rest. The herb is ineffective in slowing down decline in thinking associated with aging.
  • Vertebroplasty for fractures-doesn't work better than placebo. Painful vertebral fractures of the spine have been treated with injecting a "cement" into the fracture site. Two studies this year (NEJM, Spine) showed no benefit from the procedure.
  • TENS Unit for Back Pain-isn't worthwhile. The American Academy of Neurology's Therapeutics and Technology Subcommittee recently issued new guidelines, and among the pronouncements was the declaration that transcutaneous electric nerve stimulation (TENS) is not advised as a treatment for chronic low back pain that has lasted for three or more months. After scouring the literature, they could not find evidence that TENS was effective.
  • Avoiding nuts, corn and popcorn if you have diverticulitis-is wrong advice. Patients with diverticulitis have been put on restrictive diets and advised to avoid nuts, corn and popcorn. There is no scientific evidence to support this. Nor do patients with diverticulitis need more screening colonsocopy that patients without.
  • Fasting for Lipid tests may not be needed. Patients are instructed to get their blood tests "fasting", meaning not eating for 12 hours. But new evidence published in JAMA shows that a fasting vs. non-fasting blood sample did not matter in assessing risk for vascular disease. It will probably be quite awhile before doctors stop telling patients to fast for the blood test. It has become like a reflex.
2010 will undoubtedly bring new breakthroughs in Science and health. Stay tuned for what is new, as well as what we should let go as new evidence is found.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Online Pharmacy US and Buy Valium

link wheel said...

Glorious info here. This fascinating post made me smile. Possibly should you throw in a couple of footage it would make the whole thing more interesting. Anyway, in my language, there are not much good source like this.

sim so dep said...

I've been trying to Acquire entry to this web site for a while. I used to be utilizing IE then after I tried Firefox, it labored simply advantageous? Just wanted to convey this to your attention. That is actually good blog. I have a bunch myself. I really admire your design. I do know this is off subject however,did you make this design your self,or purchase from somewhere? Anyway, in my language, there are usually not much good supply like this.

linkwheel said...

Took me time to learn all the comments, but I actually loved the article. It proved to be very helpful to me and I'm positive to all of the commenters here! It is all the time good when you cannot solely be told, but in addition engaged! I'm certain you had joy scripting this article. Anyway, in my language, there usually are not a lot good source like this.

so dep said...

I was questioning if you would be desirous about becoming a visitor poster on my blog? and in trade you would put a link the submit? Please let me know whenever you get a chance and I will ship you my contact details - thanks. Anyway, in my language, there aren't a lot good supply like this.