Sunday, March 28, 2010

Don Berwick to Head CMS

President Obama likes to shake things up. He has named Dr. Donald Berwick to head the Medicare and Medicaid Agency known as Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). This is a huge government agency with a budget of over $800 BILLION a year. That is more than most countries in the world. Dr. Berwick would be a major force in implementing the new health laws and changing Medicare to be more efficient and cost effective.

The average person probably doesn't know who Don Berwick is, but he is a big name in the Health Care industry. A pediatrician by training, he is the president of the Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI) and is a national leader on quality and patient safety. By telling stories that people can relate to, he is a transformational leader for reducing hospital errors and reducing variability in care.

Here is a quote from Dr. Berwick at the 2004 IHI meeting;
"I'm losing my patience, not with the people in healthcare, but with the system itself. Healthcare professionals are doing so many things so well; they're putting actual transformation within reach. Now we need to grab it. The clock is a tyrant and if you spend too much time 'getting ready' you're going to lose."

He started the 100,000 lives campaign which aimed to save 100,000 lives by June 14, 2006..and it did.

Dr. Berwick is an inspired choice to run CMS. I worry that he will last only a short time with such a bureaucracy, but if he can bring some of his ideas to the forefront and to congress, this will be a big win for medicine and for all Americans.


For more of Dr. Berwicks views, read here.



10 comments:

KM said...

Haven't heard about the 100,000 lives Campaign before, sounds great, would like to know more how he saved them. Hope he will be able to make some changes, without running into constant obstacles.

Anonymous said...

I agree, Dr. B, he is an inspired choice. He would be a great leader to push health reform to even higher value.

sue said...

Had the pleasure of speaking with him seeral weeks ago at the Institute for Healthcare Improvement conference. A great soul, wise, unassuming, funny, excellent communicator, experienced pediatrician, not to mention founder and visionary leader of our most effective national improvement organization. For me, as a patient who’s experienced a life-threatening illness, healthcare provider, and writer about redesigning care delivery this is very hopeful and exciting.

link wheel said...

I used to be wondering in the event you could be excited by becoming a guest poster on my weblog? and in change you may put a hyperlink the publish? Please let me know whenever you get a chance and I'll ship you my contact details - thanks. Anyway, in my language, there are usually not a lot good source like this.

sim so dep said...

Can I make a suggestion? I believe youve obtained something good here. But what should you added a pair links to a page that backs up what youre saying? Or possibly you could give us one thing to look at, one thing that may connect what youre saying to one thing tangible? Only a suggestion. Anyway, in my language, there aren't much good source like this.

so dep said...

Have you ever thought-about adding extra videos to your blog posts to maintain the readers extra entertained? I mean I just read by way of your complete article of yours and it was fairly good but since I am more of a visible learner,I found that to be extra useful effectively let me know how it seems! I love what you guys are all the time up too. Such intelligent work and reporting! Sustain the good works guys I've added you guys to my blogroll. It is a great article thanks for sharing this informative information.. I'll visit your blog recurrently for some latest post. Anyway, in my language, there usually are not a lot good supply like this.

sim dep said...

Hello, I noticed a 3 of your interesting posted posts and wished to ask in case you would be keen on reciprocal pages? Team have weblog about alexis texas ass! Anyway, in my language, there usually are not much good source like this.

sim số đẹp said...

Wonderful learn, I simply handed this onto a colleague who was doing some research on that. And he actually purchased me lunch because I discovered it for him smile So let me rephrase that: Thanks for lunch! Anyway, in my language, there should not much good source like this.

Sim 10 so said...

Wonderful learn, I simply handed this onto a colleague who was doing some research on that. And he actually purchased me lunch because I discovered it for him smile So let me rephrase that: Thanks for lunch! Anyway, in my language, there should not much good source like this.

Sim viettel said...

Your weblog is fine. I just wish to comment on the design. Its too loud. Its doing way an excessive amount of and it takes away from what you received to say --which I feel is basically important. I dont know if you happen to didnt suppose that your phrases could maintain everyone attention, however you had been wrong. Anyway, in my language, there aren't a lot good source like this.