Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Haiti Medical Relief


The January 12 Haiti earthquake killed over 200,000 people and The United Nations reports nearly 1.3 million people are now homeless. The devastated capital of Port-au-Prince is home to 762,708 of them, living in squalid tent camps without proper sanitation. Officials have worried about "donor fatigue", especially with the Chile earthquake. But the situation in Haiti is so much worse than Chile because of the lack of a functioning government.

On Friday morning I will be leading a team of doctors and nurses who will fly to Port-au-Prince to work with Partners in Health (PIH) and provide medical care to the victims of the earthquake. We don't know exactly what to expect or what the working conditions will be like.

The need has moved beyond the initial trauma and surgery to general medical care and pediatric care for the millions of survivors. Sutter Health deployed an initial team to work with PIH right after the quake and now they are asking for more help. It is great to work for an organization that steps up to the plate and sees global health care as part of their mission.

So I won't be blogging on EverythingHealth for awhile.

I am taking my malaria prophylaxis because the rainy season is starting and mosquitos are everywhere. I know the conditions will be rugged with intermittent electricity and sleeping in tents. I hope the supplies and medications our team is taking will be enough. Nothing is worse than knowing there is a treatment that would cure, but not having it close at hand. We are trying to anticipate what is needed but there is only so much that we can carry. The airlines are charging $50-100 for an extra or overweight bag so the logistics of this type of travel are a challenge.

I will try to blog regularly at the Sutter Health site, SutterHelpsHaiti. It will depend upon my ability to send photos and text through my blackberry.

Stay tuned for the outcome of this exciting, scary and very worthwhile journey to help the victims of Haiti.

17 comments:

Linda Leighton said...

Bless you and your team! I will be thinking of you all. Have a safe trip!

Anonymous said...

Dr.Brayer, what does your blog being Carbon nutural mean?

politics said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
politics said...

The January 12 earthquake which measured seven on the Richter scale proved catastrophic for the island nation. As of February 12, an estimated three million people were affected by the quake; the Haitian Government reports that between 217,000 and 230,000 people had been identified as dead, an estimated 300,000 injured, and 1,000,000 homeless.

CountryMidwife said...

Many blessings to you in this important work, Doc! I will be thinking of you. There will be joy, heartache, inconvenience, fear, discomfort, adventure, misery, pride, even fun.... all rolled into this experience. But I'm warning you, international relief work is a BUG you catch... and it may never let go of your heart again. Hugs ---

student aid said...

Many students are concerned as to if they qualify for student aid. They want to know if they are going to be able to obtain the student aid that they are going to need in order to meet the financial obligation of college. They want to be confident that they are going to be able to fully concentrate on their studies without worrying about if they are going to be able to afford the next semester.

medical school said...

Social critic Ivan Illich once wrote that each civilization defines its own diseases be they genetic, criminal, sinful, or even virtuous and treatments be they torture, hospitalization, execution, exile, or even financial aid. Armstrong also attributes the formation of ADHD to the importance of the Protestant work ethic and the need to somehow classify unruly children in medical school. Early founding philosophers such as Hobbes emphasized the importance of attaining positions of wealth and power through the rational and efficient use of time and energy, willingness to control distracting impulses, and to delay gratification in the service of productivity, and thriftiness and ambition. Deviance from this worldview is defined as distractibility, impulsiveness, and lack of motivation, the same traits frequently used to describe children suffering from ADHD according to Armstrong.

greenme said...

hi friends.. i hanya ingin mengajak anda untuk mengunjungi blog saya its all about cute bayi dan hal-hal lain. thanks ...... COME ON ... situs yang indah. Anda akan benar-benar menyukainya.

StorytellERdoc said...

Good luck to you and your team...and thanks for giving of yourself.

Panda said...

I will be thinking of you all. Have a safe trip!
Made in chinaMade in china

made in Chinamade in China

pandapanda

pandaPanda China

Health & BeautyHealth & Beauty

Health BeautyHealth Beauty

Health Beauty supplierHealth Beauty supplier

Health Beauty suppliersHealth Beauty suppliers

Health&Beauty supplierHealth&Beauty supplier

Made in chinaMade in china

made in Chinamade in China

Seattle DUI attorney said...

Good luck on your travels. You're doing an amazing thing by helping the Haitians.

Raymond Bouchayer said...

Good for you Dr. Toni . The sad part is that the earthquake was only the beginning , the rainy season is there and the hurricane season is around the corner . Those poor people have no shelter , adequate food and water and very little medical care and the public attention has turned toward Chili who is in better shape in every way to cope with the disaster .

Red said...

Red Cross and Red Crescent Club
Youth Organization
iranian red crescent

www.redcc.ir
http://www.redcc.ir

link wheel said...

Daniel, yea I can see what you did there. I actually liked that part, however hehe I'm not that harsh like my dad with these things. He all the time tells me loopy tales again within the day and calls me a loser. I suppose it is time I move out of my dad and mom' basement LOL. Aaanyways, what about you? what does your dad suppose xD" Anyway, in my language, there aren't much good source like this.

linkwheel said...

Hey cool weblog, just questioning what anti-spam software program you employ for feedback as a result of i get heaps on my blog. Anyway, in my language, there usually are not a lot good source like this.

sim so dep said...

I was wondering what's up with that bizarre gravatar??? I know 5am is early and I am not looking my best at that hour, but I hope I do not appear to be this! I'd however make that face if I am asked to do a hundred pushups. lol Anyway, in my language, there will not be much good source like this.

so dep said...

I was wondering if you need to be a guest poster on my web site? and in alternate you could possibly include a hyperlink your publish? Please reply while you get an opportunity and I will ship you my contact details - thanks. Anyway, in my language, there are not much good source like this.