Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Haiti Medical Relief - Continued Need




(note family is caring for the patients)


It has been two months since the disastrous earthquake in Haiti and the medical need is still dire. I just returned from a week in Port au Prince with a 17 person team of doctors and nurses to work with Partners in Health. We worked at the University Hospital, the only State hospital in this city of 3.5 million. What did we see?

We delivered medical care in tents like MASH units. There is one standing concrete structure housing about 50 patients and other tents being used for ER, ICU and Pediatrics ICU. Another tent is Surgery and TB ward. Our group staffed the nights on the Med Ward (we called it the catacombs), ICU and Pedi ICU. We worked 14 hour shifts and saw the most unbelievable filth, diseases and resilience of the Haitian people. We had no running water and that means no toilets too. We had 100% surgical infection rates. We chased mice out of patient's beds and shared our food and water with people who had none. We brought medical supplies and wished we had more. We made diagnosis without labs or imaging and treated serious diseases as best as we could in a "Charles Dickens novel" environment. In short, we worked ourselves to exhaustion and felt we barely made a dent in the problem.

Doctors and nurses are trained to "hand-off" patients at the end of the work shift. We often had no one to hand off patients to. The Haitian medical force has been decimated by the quake (killed or fled) and the other aid groups have pulled out. This created stress for us. Partners in Health is committed to Haiti but does not have the resources (or the permission) to run the State Hospital. Relying on volunteers is no way to run a health system.

Here are some amazing things we witnessed:
  • The entire family stays with a patient in the hospital; sleeping on the floor, feeding and cleaning the patient. There is often no hospital provided food.
  • The Haitians help each other too. If you don't have family you are really screwed but we witnessed kindness from others.
  • Everyone in the vicinity crowds around if you are examining or talking to a patient. There is no privacy at all and no HIPPA. This was so odd to us but so accepted by them.
  • Even when death was obviously coming and we warned the family, the family was always surprised and tried to wake the dead person up. The mourning ritual is extreme, loud, prolonged for hours and made everyone (including us) cry.
  • No one complained despite the most horrible conditions. The Haitians do not deserve such a life.
  • I did not see one cigarette in Haiti. They are too poor to smoke.
  • Young people have end stage heart and liver disease from infections, malnutrition and other conditions that we eradicated decades ago. Poverty leads to early death.
That's enough for now. I returned with PTSD and a wicked case of dysentery. I wish to thank Sutter Health for sponsoring the trip and sending us to help. I worked with an amazing group of talented, dedicated clinicians.

If you have an extra ten bucks...think about a donation to PIH. You will not regret it one second.

12 comments:

Dianne said...

In all the coverage I've seen of Haiti, your post really brought it home to me. Bravo to you and your team for your good work. I will send a contribution to PIH and urge everyone I know to do the same.

M C said...

Thanks for all the work you do. I'm at a loss for words.

Kellie said...

I will donate to PIH.
You and your team are amazing to have the courage to
do as much as you could in those conditions.

Linda Leighton said...

What a brave and compassionate group of people you all are!! I have already donated twice to Am. Red Cross and the Bush/Clinton group, but after I get home today from my appts. I will make a donation to PIH as well.

Bless you all and good luck regaining your health and dealing with the PTSD!

Jonathan said...

Kudos to the entire Sutter Health team for stepping up to the plate. Today it's good to be an American.

The Snowshoedaddy said...

Tomi....love the blog. Would love to see other photos if you have 'em. Posting stuff on Facebook later. I appreeciate the comments you posted on my blog.

And, thank you for including me on your team. You made me feel like family.

Kellie said...

Incerdiable the big smile of resilience on that toddler's face after an arm amputation.

Krista said...

They are too poor to smoke, I don't know why but this really paints a very telling picture. I hope you are feeling better now that you are back and trying to heal yourself from such a heartbreaking trip.

link wheel said...

Wonderful learn, I simply passed this onto a colleague who was doing some research on that. And he really bought me lunch because I found it for him smile So let me rephrase that: Thanks for lunch! Anyway, in my language, there are not much good supply like this.

linkwheel said...

Your weblog is fine. I just wish to comment on the design. Its too loud. Its doing way an excessive amount of and it takes away from what youve received to say --which I feel is basically important. I dont know if you happen to didnt suppose that your phrases could maintain everyones attention, however you had been wrong. Anyway, in my language, there aren't a lot good source like this.

sim so dep said...

I was wondering if you want to be a visitor poster on my web site? and in trade you possibly can include a hyperlink your publish? Please reply whenever you get an opportunity and I will send you my contact particulars - thanks. Anyway, in my language, there usually are not much good supply like this.

so dep said...

I was questioning if you would be desirous about becoming a visitor poster on my blog? and in trade you would put a link the submit? Please let me know whenever you get a chance and I will ship you my contact details - thanks. Anyway, in my language, there aren't a lot good supply like this.