Sunday, May 2, 2010

Your Genes Determine Which Diet Works

Why do some diets work better than others?  Why can your best friend lose 10 lbs with a low carb diet and your weight just hovers?  Why can some people eat just about everything, and still stay skinny?  It's all in the genes.  Mindy Dopler Nelson, Ph.D., of Stanford U. reported the results of her study at the American Heart Associate conference.  She found that a single nuceotide polymorphism caused women to loose 5X as much weight on the Atkins diet, compared with women who did not have the gene.

(A single nucleotide polymorphism is a DNA sequence variation that can create a copying error for proteins that change how a gene works and can be the site of certain disease processes)

Dr. Nelson studied women on 4 popular weight loss diets.  (Atkins, Zone, Learn and Ornish)  Within each of the diet groups, there were women who had lost over 15kg as well as people who gained 5 kg.  These women had no statistically significant differences in body mass index, blood pressure, cholesterol levels, insulin or glucose.  The only difference was the genotype.

Remember, that everyone loses weight when you limit calories.  But how you get those calories seems to make a difference in how much weight you lose over time. Some of us are low-carb losers and some are low-fat losers.  At this time there is no way to know which one you may be if you don't know your genotype.  Will this be the wave of the future? 

Dr. Nelson acknowledged that the trial was relatively small and that the findings need to be confirmed in a larger trial.  For now if you aren't seeing your weight loss with one type of diet, it might be time to switch to another. 

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's beginning to look like genes are the answer to everything. How far along is the human genome project? When can we get tested for some of these genes so we can plan therapy and treatments?

Jean said...

Well, looking at your family tree will help you choose the right diet for you. By the way, this personal defense for women like us might interest you. Thanks and more power!

Best Womens Health & Fitness said...

Very interesting theory and results albeit from a small sample. Interestingly, my husband had tired many different diets with little or no success. Then he tired a high protein diet and manged to lose 18kgs and has kept it off for 2 years now! Obviously his genes like protein!

tracy said...

Must. Find. Correct. Gene. Eating. Program.

Meanwhile

Calories In < Calories Out

Hee. Verification "pityp"

Does that mean pity party...for me?????

tracy said...

Pepper spray to lose weight...who knew???????

tracy said...

i don't get thow that scale works...is it in kg's? Help! It's driving me crazier!

Cheeseburgers!!!!

CountryMidwife said...

I'll pay some big bucks to get me ahold of one of those single nuceotide polymorphisms :)

KM said...

It is always confusing which is the best diet for reducing weight, high BP and chol.

tracy said...

i have always heard that the best "eating program" (NOT diet) is a healthy one that you will follow. Just as the best exercise is one you will do.

Jackson said...

Diet is the most important thing for everyone.Diet will help to reduce the fat and makes you fresh and adorable.

Fred Hahn said...

Q: How was diet compliance factored out of the equation so that the gene could be considered the deciding factor? Did ALL of the women who lost the most fat on the Atkins diet have the gene? It would have to be all if the gene was the deciding factor.

link wheel said...

I used to be questioning if you want to be a visitor poster on my web site? and in exchange you might embrace a hyperlink your publish? Please reply once you get a chance and I'll send you my contact particulars - thanks. Anyway, in my language, there aren't much good supply like this.

linkwheel said...

Have you ever ever thought-about including more videos to your blog posts to keep the readers more entertained? I imply I simply learn by way of your complete article of yours and it was quite good but since I'm more of a visible learner,I discovered that to be more helpful effectively let me know the way it seems! I love what you guys are all the time up too. Such clever work and reporting! Keep up the nice works guys I've added you guys to my blogroll. This is a nice article thanks for sharing this informative information.. I will visit your blog usually for some latest post. Anyway, in my language, there will not be a lot good supply like this.

sim so dep said...

Daniel, yea I can see what you probably did there. I actually appreciated that part, but hehe I am not that harsh like my dad with these things. He always tells me loopy stories back in the day and calls me a loser. I guess it's time I transfer out of my dad and mom' basement LOL. Aaanyways, what about you? what does your dad assume xD" Anyway, in my language, there are not much good supply like this.

sim số đẹp said...

Hello, I saw a three of your attention-grabbing posted posts and needed to ask in the event you would be interested in reciprocal pages? Crew have weblog about alexis texas ass! Anyway, in my language, there usually are not much good supply like this.

Sim 10 so said...

Wonderful learn, I simply handed this onto a colleague who was doing some research on that. And he actually purchased me lunch because I discovered it for him smile So let me rephrase that: Thanks for lunch! Anyway, in my language, there should not much good source like this.

Sim viettel said...

Your weblog is fine. I just wish to comment on the design. Its too loud. Its doing way an excessive amount of and it takes away from what you received to say --which I feel is basically important. I dont know if you happen to didnt suppose that your phrases could maintain everyone attention, however you had been wrong. Anyway, in my language, there aren't a lot good source like this.