Friday, June 11, 2010

Are We Overmedicating Our Kids?


One of the blogs I read by Maggie Mahar, pointed out that a new study found that 26% of kids under age 19 are now taking prescription drugs for a chronic condition. The drugs include asthma medication, anti-psychotics, diabetes, anti-hypertensives and heartburn medications.  According to the Medco study (the largest pharmacy benefit manager), the incidence of type 2 diabetes increased over 150% in children between 2001 and 2009.  Readers, that is staggering!  Children are supposed to be healthy and active and not tied to a regimen of pills.

What is our nation doing to care for our most precious citizens?  Why are 17% of adolescents (ages 10-19) now classified as obese?  Why have medications used to treat high blood pressure, high cholesterol and diabetes increased 15.2% in children?  And why are children being treated for heartburn, a condition that is associated with obesity and should never be part of childhood?

I ask these questions rhetorically.  We know the answers.  The increase in obesity can be directly linked to processed foods with high sugar content, carbohydrates and sugary soft drinks.  Couple that with lack of exercise and you get a fat kid.  Studies show that obesity leads to high blood pressure, insulin abnormalities and diabetes, breathing disorders, gastroesophageal reflux and possibly even behavioral problems.

These figures should be front page news, right up there with the awful BP oil spill and we should be just as outraged.  Most of these medications have not been tested on children and we do not know the long term consequences.  We have a huge problem that cannot be swept under the door with a prescription.  It is not the kid's fault.  It is society's fault.

We need to put health first.  The new food labeling laws associated with Health Insurance Reform is a tiny start.  We need to get sodas out of schools and out of the nations refrigerators. We need to make physical education a school requirement, not a nice extra "if we can afford it."  We need to embrace Jaimie Oliver's Food Revolution and improve school (and home) lunches.  We need to stop buying candy and pretending that packaged convenience food is "real" food.

I know readers of EverythingHealth probably already do the right things for their kids.  It will take a village approach to turn this around for our Nation.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Over medicated, over fed, over indulged. And yet all those much loved children are going to turn out just fine.

KM said...

Do you know if there is a link to this kind of food causing gestational diabetes and babies of mothers who had it gaining alot of weight the first 6 & 12 months, before being mobile? I know a case. where the mother had it with the first baby and was boarder line with the 2ed baby and also breast fed, both babies put on alot of weight the first 6 or 12 months. The older one is thinner since reaching the age to walk and run around, the other is still under a year.

link wheel said...

Properly, this is my very first go to to your weblog! We're a gaggle of volunteers and starting a brand new initiative in a neighborhood throughout the same niche. Your weblog provided us helpful info to work on. You will have carried out a marvellous job! Anyway, in my language, there aren't much good source like this.

link wheel said...

Can I make a suggestion? I believe youve received one thing good here. However what if you added a couple links to a page that backs up what youre saying? Or perhaps you might give us something to look at, something that would join what youre saying to something tangible? Only a suggestion. Anyway, in my language, there will not be a lot good source like this.

linkwheel said...

Sources like the one you talked about right here can be very useful to me! I'll put up a hyperlink to this web page on my blog. I'm positive my visitors will find that very useful. Massive thanks for the helpful info i found on Domain News Anyway, in my language, there will not be a lot good supply like this.

sim so dep said...

Truely a nice blog and excellent anylasisi. I like your blog and the style you talk! Thanks for your great work, faithfully.

so dep said...

Howdy, i learn your weblog occasionally and that i own an analogous one and i used to be simply wondering for those who get numerous spam feedback? In that case how do you forestall it, any plugin or anything you may advise? I get a lot recently it is driving me mad so any help could be very a lot appreciated. Anyway, in my language, there are not a lot good source like this.

www.muebles-en-malaga.com said...

So, I do not really consider it may have success.

www.caceres-3d.com said...

Pretty effective data, thank you for this post.

sim dep said...

Took me time to learn all of the comments, however I actually enjoyed the article. It proved to be very helpful to me and I'm certain to all of the commenters right here! It is all the time nice when you can't only be informed, but in addition engaged! I'm positive you had joy writing this article. Anyway, in my language, there will not be much good source like this.

sim số đẹp said...

Hello, I saw a three of your attention-grabbing posted posts and needed to ask in the event you would be interested in reciprocal pages? Crew have weblog about alexis texas ass! Anyway, in my language, there usually are not much good supply like this.

Sim 10 so said...

Wonderful learn, I simply handed this onto a colleague who was doing some research on that. And he actually purchased me lunch because I discovered it for him smile So let me rephrase that: Thanks for lunch! Anyway, in my language, there should not much good source like this.

Sim viettel said...

Your weblog is fine. I just wish to comment on the design. Its too loud. Its doing way an excessive amount of and it takes away from what you received to say --which I feel is basically important. I dont know if you happen to didnt suppose that your phrases could maintain everyone attention, however you had been wrong. Anyway, in my language, there aren't a lot good source like this.

Anonymous said...

So these lenses could be in the painting. For the moment, there are a variety of types.
If you need to wear them. Dyes can be one of the
easiest ways to utilize Feng Shui without spending a whole lot of time and
then thrown away. The fibers are long and strong allowing you to choose from as well.
Size deployment variations Just read all instructions and follow all advice
about how to wear black and wear it well.

Feel free to surf to my web-site; color contacts; ,