Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Keratosis Pilaris

This photo of the arm of a 17 year old girl showing tiny red rough bumps that were not painful or itchy.  She had similar bumps on her thighs.  This common condition is called Keratosis Pilaris and it peaks during adolescence in all races.  It goes away by itself as a person ages.

We don't know the cause of this strange phenomenon.  Since it is mainly seen in puberty there may be a hormonal effect.

 There are no special tests to diagnose Keratosis Pilaris and there is no specific treatment.  Moisturizing the skin is important to soften the dryness and reduce roughness.   Topical retinoids (Retin A, Tazorac) can help to promote cell turnover and prevent plugging of hair follicles.




Image and case from Consultant Live

5 comments:

Jill of All Trades, MD said...

I have found Lac-Hydrin 12% cream twice daily to be successful in many of my patients :)

tracy said...

What kind of dinosaur?

Sam said...

This is very interesting to me. I have keratosis pilaris and it never disappeared after puberty. Coincidentally (or I guess not-so-coincidentally) I also have a hormone imbalance.

muebles en huesca said...

Oh my god, there's a great deal of useful material in this post!

www.avila-3d.com said...

Thanks for your article, pretty useful piece of writing.