Sunday, June 20, 2010

SpaghettiOs Recalled

I know the readers of EverythingHealth would never eat Campbells SpaghettiOs but in case you know someone who does, you should know that the USDA has recalled 15,000,000 pounds of SpaghettiOs because of under processing. The recall includes 14.75-ounce cans with a use-by date between June 2010 and December 2011 of three varieties of the product: "SpaghettiOs with Meatballs," "SpaghettiOs A to Z with Meatballs" and "SpaghettiOs Fun Shapes with Meatballs (Cars)."


Consumers who have purchased those products with a plant code of "EST4K" should not eat them and should return them to the store where they were purchased for an exchange or full refund, Campbell Soup said.

More than 150 million cans of spaghettiOs are sold each year.

Being curious, I wondered what is in this American brand that was introduced in 1965?  Here is what I found:

Water, Tomato purée (Water, Tomato Paste), Enriched Macaroni Product (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Ferrous Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), High Fructose Corn Syrup, Contains Less than 2 % of: Salt, Enzyme Modified Cheddar Cheese (Cheddar Cheese [Milk, Cheese Culture, Salt, Enzymes], Water, Disodium phosphate), Vegetable Oil (Corn, Cottonseed, Canola and/or Soybean), Enzyme Modified Butter, Oleoresin Paprika, Spice Extract, Citric Acid and Nonfat Dry Milk. One can contains 26g of sugar, 1700mg of salt, 74g of carbohydrates, 12g of protein and 360 calories.

Looking at these ingredients brings to mind the wise words of Michael Pollan , the food writer and researcher who advises us not to eat anything our grandparents wouldn't recognize.  Spaghetti0s seem to have a lot of additives that are hard to pronounce and that granny would wonder about.  It gives new meaning to "UH, OH...spaghetti Os"

Do you have any on your shelf?

13 comments:

tracy said...

My son loves them...

"Uh-oh, bad mommy".

No, we didn't get any of the bad ones, however, thank you for this warning....

Well, the "bad", bad ones, that is...

:(

Toni Brayer, MD said...

tracy, I get it. They are fast and kids like em'. Once in awhile can't be too bad, can it?

link wheel said...

I've to say, I dont know if its the clashing colours or the unhealthy grammar, but this blog is hideous! I imply, I dont want to sound like a know-it-all or something, however may you will have possibly put slightly bit more effort into this subject. Its really interesting, however you dont characterize it properly in any respect, man. Anyway, in my language, there aren't much good source like this.

linkwheel said...

Unbelievable submit! This could support a number of individuals find out about this matter. Do you need to incorporate video clips along with these? It could undoubtedly help out. Your purpose was spot on and owing to you; I most likely won't have to explain all the pieces to my pals. I can merely direct them here. Anyway, in my language, there will not be a lot good source like this.

sim so dep said...

It?s really great post..I have read a number of posts of yours, but this is the one that I like the most. So expecting some more ideas from your side.I would like to appreciate your work and would like to tell to my friends.Thanks for sharing;

so dep said...

Excellent information here. This attention-grabbing publish made me smile. Possibly when you throw in a couple of footage it's going to make the entire thing more interesting. Anyway, in my language, there should not much good source like this.

www.huesca-3d.com said...

In my view everyone have to glance at it.

sim dep said...

Can I make a suggestion? I believe youve received one thing good here. However what if you added a couple links to a page that backs up what youre saying? Or perhaps you might give us something to look at, something that would join what youre saying to something tangible? Only a suggestion. Anyway, in my language, there will not be a lot good source like this.

sim số đẹp said...

Hello, I saw a three of your attention-grabbing posted posts and needed to ask in the event you would be interested in reciprocal pages? Crew have weblog about alexis texas ass! Anyway, in my language, there usually are not much good supply like this.

Sim 10 so said...

Howdy, i learn your weblog occasionally and that i own an analogous one and i used to be simply wondering for those who get numerous spam feedback? In that case how do you forestall it, any plugin or anything you may advise? I get a lot recently it is driving me mad so any help could be very a lot appreciated. Anyway, in my language, there are not a lot good source like this.

Scott said...

Thank you for this post, really worthwhile data.
resume template free | administrator password | mortgage calculator Canada

Sim viettel 10 so said...

I was more than happy to seek out this site.I wanted to thank you for this nice read!! I definitely having fun with each little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. Anyway, in my language, there usually are not a lot good source like this.

Sim viettel said...

Your weblog is fine. I just wish to comment on the design. Its too loud. Its doing way an excessive amount of and it takes away from what you received to say --which I feel is basically important. I dont know if you happen to didnt suppose that your phrases could maintain everyone attention, however you had been wrong. Anyway, in my language, there aren't a lot good source like this.