Thursday, July 29, 2010

Bystander CPR Saves Lives

Nearly 450 people die each day of sudden cardiac arrest. Many times the bystanders, who witness a person collapse don't know what to do. They are afraid they will hurt the victim or they feel nervous about doing traditional Cardio-pulmonary resuscitation (CPR) with mouth to mouth breathing and chest compressions.

New information is published in the New England Journal of Medicine that shows hands-only CPR is potentially a lifesaving option to be used and it can improve the chance of survival equally as well as traditional CPR. This study confirms other reports that bystanders can save lives by doing chest compressions in adults and children who are not breathing. The two studies from NEJM compared the outcomes of victims who collapsed and onlookers gave either chest compressions alone or were instructed by emergency telephone operators to give traditional CPR. They found no difference in survival rates.

Other studies have shown that children who receive bystander chest compression CPR are 3 times more likely to survive than those who receive no help.

Because onlookers are more likely to administer chest compressions and it is easier to execute, it is important that everyone know how to do it. The compressions need to be deep on the sternum (lower breastbone) at 100 times a minute. Do not stop until the emergency personnel arrive.

I am still haunted by the image of a man who collapsed and immediately turned blue in a shopping mall when I was a young teen. I knew he was dying and the bystanders (including me) just watched. I didn't know about CPR then. I compare that to the runner who dropped dead of a heart attack in a Bay to Breakers Race when I was running as a medical resident. I administered full CPR in the Panhandle of Golden Gate Park until the paramedics arrived and administered cardiac shocks before transporting him to the hospital. He survived.

Knowledge is everything!

16 comments:

stop smoking help said...

As a respiratory therapist, I've heard lots of people say they couldn't learn BLS because of the mouth to mouth component. Even though it would save a life, they just didn't feel they could do it. As research has pointed to a lessening importance of the breath component, I hope this will entice more to become BLS certified.

Copy and paste the like below into your browser to learn how to become certified from the Red Cross.

http://www.redcross.org/portal/site/en/menuitem.86f46a12f382290517a8f210b80f78a0/?vgnextoid=aea70c45f663b110VgnVCM10000089f0870aRCRD&vgnextfmt=default

stop smoking help said...

The link was too long. Just go to www.redcross.org and type CPR into the search box.

KM said...

How terrifying to see that as a young teen. You must have had nightmares. A dramatic comparison and how brave of you with the fear of being in the middle of a crowded street and race going on with no help or medical equipment and supplies.

Another example of the World being a much better place because of you being in it!!!
ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!! Thank you for writing about your experience and for being the kind of person to step in to save a life and be a hero, like the time with the person you helped on the plane.

Toni Brayer, MD said...

KM: Wow thanks for the wonderful support for the blog and comments.

Stop smoking help: thanks for the link.

Linda Leighton said...

That must have been so frightening & traumatic for you as a teen. You have saved many people since then though. Bless you, Toni!

EMR said...

It is important to know how to deal with a patient when there is an emergency.CPR can be life saving and should be learnt by every human being...an attack could happen in the family or the neighborhood or office considering the statistics.

Zahid said...

Thanks for this support. We need more blog like healthy for stop smoking. Thanks a lot. I have working in Master Cleanse

Thanks again for this blog.

linkwheel said...

Wonderful learn, I simply handed this onto a colleague who was doing some research on that. And he actually purchased me lunch because I discovered it for him smile So let me rephrase that: Thanks for lunch! Anyway, in my language, there should not much good source like this.

link wheel said...

Properly, that is my very first visit in your weblog! We're a group of volunteers and beginning a brand new initiative in a community within the same niche. Your weblog supplied us useful information to work on. You might have carried out a marvellous job! Anyway, in my language, there are not much good supply like this.

sim so dep said...

This sounds very interesting. Please explain to me me what's the next step. I'll be back for your upcoming post after I am clear of your point.

so dep said...

Glorious data here. This fascinating put up made me smile. Possibly should you throw in a couple of pictures it'll make the whole thing extra interesting. Anyway, in my language, there usually are not much good source like this.

sim dep said...

Glorious data here. This fascinating put up made me smile. Possibly should you throw in a couple of pictures it'll make the whole thing extra interesting. Anyway, in my language, there usually are not much good source like this.

sim số đẹp said...

Wonderful learn, I simply handed this onto a colleague who was doing some research on that. And he actually purchased me lunch because I discovered it for him smile So let me rephrase that: Thanks for lunch! Anyway, in my language, there should not much good source like this.

Sim 10 so said...

Wonderful learn, I simply handed this onto a colleague who was doing some research on that. And he actually purchased me lunch because I discovered it for him smile So let me rephrase that: Thanks for lunch! Anyway, in my language, there should not much good source like this.

Sim viettel 10 so said...

Wonderful learn, I simply handed this onto a colleague who was doing some research on that. And he actually purchased me lunch because I discovered it for him smile So let me rephrase that: Thanks for lunch! Anyway, in my language, there should not much good source like this.

Sim viettel said...

Your weblog is fine. I just wish to comment on the design. Its too loud. Its doing way an excessive amount of and it takes away from what you received to say --which I feel is basically important. I dont know if you happen to didnt suppose that your phrases could maintain everyone attention, however you had been wrong. Anyway, in my language, there aren't a lot good source like this.