Monday, July 26, 2010

Irritable Bowel Syndrome From Structural Brain Changes


Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a common disorder that affects women twice as often as men.  It is commonly seen in a general medicine practice.  It is thought to be chronic and involves cramping, abdominal pain, gas, diarrhea and constipation.  An old term for it is "spastic colon".   It is one of those frustrating conditions where we "don't know what causes it" and that means doctors often say it is caused by stress or hormones or food intolerance or the immune system. Because it can be associated with depression and because it comes and goes, a variety of different medications are used to treat the symptoms.

Well, surprise!  New findings reported in Gastroenterology, show that there may be structural changes in the brain that cause the gut to react and cause IBS.  The researchers at UCLA and Canada's McGill University used brain scans to compare brain anatomy of 55 women with moderate IBS vs. women with no symptoms.  They found thinning grey matter in specific areas of the brain.  Three areas of the brain were involved in affected women, areas associated with pain inhibition, emotion regulation, attention and processing of information on organ functioning.  They found changes in the brain that have a role in intensifying pain and reductions in areas which have a role in suppressing pain.

In IBS, the brain may be amplifying pain signals it receives from the bowel.  We know that different patients have different thresholds for pain and this study demonstrates anatomical brain changes that might account for it.

Finding an organic component to IBS helps validate what patients have been experiencing and may lead to new treatments for the disorder.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, William and Gail Martz are back after posing as business owners in in Paris, France..and being followed by French tax authorities.

BrainDame said...

So maybe neurosurgeons will find a way to treat with a stimulator!

Toni Brayer, MD said...

Anonymous: Are you on the wrong blog?

Kathleen Summers, MD, PhD said...

I think we need to be careful here. The structural changes in the brain may be a result of chronic problems in the gut rather than the cause. Neuroplasticity, the ability of the brain to change in response to inputs like thoughts and emotions, may play a significant role. For anyone following who is interested in mind and brain connections, Destructive Emotions by Daniel Goleman (in concert with other brain scientists and the current Dalai Lama) is a great read.

EMR said...

This is a common one nowadays and often the Doctors are baffled without an answer as to what could be the cause for the pain.It is surely connected to stress.

Misha said...

I find this very fascinating overall....especially knowing the gut contains more neurons than the spinal cord and......Perhaps this is some of the reason acupuncture works for some people with IBS when we use points to support brain function as well as bowel function.

linkwheel said...

Unbelievable submit! This could support a number of individuals find out about this matter. Do you need to incorporate video clips along with these? It could undoubtedly help out. Your purpose was spot on and owing to you; I most likely won't have to explain all the pieces to my pals. I can merely direct them here. Anyway, in my language, there will not be a lot good source like this.

link wheel said...

Can I make a suggestion? I feel youve bought something good here. But what should you added a couple links to a web page that backs up what youre saying? Or possibly you would give us one thing to take a look at, one thing that may connect what youre saying to something tangible? Only a suggestion. Anyway, in my language, there aren't a lot good source like this.

sim so dep said...

I just sent this post to a bunch of my friends as I agree with most of what you?re saying here and the way you?ve presented it is awesome.

so dep said...

Wonderful learn, I simply handed this onto a colleague who was doing some research on that. And he truly bought me lunch as a result of I discovered it for him smile So let me rephrase that: Thanks for lunch! Anyway, in my language, there aren't much good supply like this.

Laurence said...

I saw so much useful data in this post!
coffee table designs | sweet potato recipes | Penn-dutch recipes

sim dep said...

I just sent this post to a bunch of my friends as I agree with most of what you?re saying here and the way you?ve presented it is awesome.

sim số đẹp said...

Your weblog is fine. I simply need to comment on the design. Its too loud. Its doing method too much and it takes away from what youve got to say --which I feel is admittedly important. I dont know if you happen to didnt suppose that your phrases may hold everyones attention, however you have been wrong. Anyway, in my language, there usually are not much good source like this.

Sim 10 so said...

Wonderful learn, I simply handed this onto a colleague who was doing some research on that. And he actually purchased me lunch because I discovered it for him smile So let me rephrase that: Thanks for lunch! Anyway, in my language, there should not much good source like this.

Sim viettel said...

Your weblog is fine. I just wish to comment on the design. Its too loud. Its doing way an excessive amount of and it takes away from what you received to say --which I feel is basically important. I dont know if you happen to didnt suppose that your phrases could maintain everyone attention, however you had been wrong. Anyway, in my language, there aren't a lot good source like this.