Top 10 U.S. Pharmaceutical Sales
- Lipitor - used for high cholesterol $7.5
- Nexium - a proton pump inhibitor for reflux 6.3
- Plavix - a blood thinner 5.6
- Advair Diskus- used for asthma and COPD 4.7
- Seroquel - used for bipolar disorders 4.2
- Abilify - used for bipolar disorders 4.0
- Singulair- for asthma and allergies 3.7
- Actos - for diabetes 3.4
- Embrel - injectible for rheumatoid arthritis 3.3
- Epogen - injectible for low red cells 3.2
Amgen has a monopoly with Epogen, used for patients on dialysis and other anemias. The margin is believed to exceed 85%. The Pharmaceutical lobby is second to none.
Hey, folks, I'm not against pharmaceutical medications. I take them, I prescribe them and I believe we have enhanced life because of new discoveries. But with Health Care Reform, it is time to look at all costs and there should be no sacred cows.