Thursday, November 18, 2010

Answers to Derm Quiz

Scroll down to see the photos and here are the answers. If you cant see the images in the previous post, click on "EverythingHealth" and you'll see the entire blog.

#1 - Actinic Keratosis - these dry crusty bumps are on sun damaged skin and can be either flat or raised in appearance.  They occur after long periods of sun exposure and damage.  They are not life threatening and can be treated with freezing (cryosurgery), excision or chemical peels.

#2- Basal Cell Carcinoma- this is the most common type of skin cancer and can usually be cured by removing it.  They also occur in sun damaged skin.

#3- Solar Lentigo- This is a large freckle caused by the skin damage from UV radiation (sun).  They are also called sun spots or liver spots or age spots as they occur in people over age 55 after years of sun damage.

#4 Squamous Cell Cancer-This is the 2nd most common skin cancer and it also occurs with sun damage. Men are twice as likely to have SQ cancer.  Most are curable and they do not metastasize but they can spread and cause large areas of damage to the skin.  Any non-healing sore on a sun exposed part of the body (ears, lips, nose, face) could be a squamous cell cancer.

Nobody got them all right. 
Doctors love skin pics.  Here is a site with lots of skin pics.

11 comments:

KM said...

I can rembember feeling the pain like her sunburn in this photo.

Raymond Bouchayer said...

I see a lot of these at the beach, all are tourist coming from cold climates getting tan in one day ! the trouble beside SK is that after the burn it peels ,slow exposure and keeping a tan is actually a protection against SK . And our body needs vitamin D .something that most people are deficient in.

Michael Kirsch, M.D. said...

Yikes! Regarding photo, is this a family friendly blog?

Toni Brayer, MD said...

MichaelKirsch,MD: I didn't know you were so sensitive to a little flesh.

Michael Kirsch, M.D. said...

I have just put 'parental controls' on Everything Health!

linkwheel said...

Hey cool weblog, just questioning what anti-spam software program you employ for feedback as a result of i get heaps on my blog. Anyway, in my language, there usually are not a lot good source like this.

link wheel said...

I was looking for crucial data on this subject. The information was vital as I'm about to launch my very own portal. Thanks for providing a missing hyperlink in my business. Anyway, in my language, there aren't a lot good source like this.

sim so dep said...

there are not a lot good supply like this.

so dep said...

Took me time to read all of the comments, but I really loved the article. It proved to be very useful to me and I am positive to all the commenters right here! It is always good when you can't solely be informed, but additionally engaged! I am sure you had pleasure writing this article. Anyway, in my language, there aren't a lot good supply like this.

contactos en barcelona said...

Well, I don't really suppose this is likely to have effect.

muebles en alcorcon said...

It cannot have effect in actual fact, that is what I think.