Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Smarter Medical Care


The internet is a wonderful place to get medical information when and how you want it.  You may not be interested in the topic of "Coumadin" until you or a family member is prescribed the drug.  What does it mean when your father tells you his doctor wants to do a "laparoscopy" or that your mother has a "venous thrombosis"?  It is important to get your medical information from a reputable source that is not filled with advertisements and gimmicks.  That is why I recommend Smarter Medical Care.

Smarter Medical Care was started by a San Francisco Hematologist named Dr. Robert Rodvien in memory of his wife, Rayna, who died of ovarian cancer.  It contains over 65 podcasts dedicated to patient information that is easy to digest and free of commercial bias.  It is an easy site to navigate and it addresses medical topics directly and compassionately.


Smarter Medical Care is a good site to bookmark and come back to when questions need answering.  So far Dr. Rodvien is supporting it himself and is about $80K  in the red.  Hopefully it will find a home that can monetize it and keep it going.

9 comments:

KM said...

Sounds like a great site, thanks for this info. I usually use Mayo Clinic as the main one and it good to get other crediable sources.

Michael Kirsch, M.D. said...

Agree that information is power. Caution advised on reliability of internet derived medical information. It's full of misinformation and veiled advertising. Caveat emptor!

Anonymous said...

Which is why we need credible recommendations from MDs, ie, Dr Brayer and Smarter Medical Care. Thank you both, M

DrPaula said...

Thank you for this good source of information. I will pass it on to my patients.

abendkleider said...

It contains over 65 podcasts dedicated to patient information that is easy to digest and free of commercial bias. It is an easy site to navigate and it addresses.

linkwheel said...

Have you ever ever thought-about including more videos to your blog posts to keep the readers more entertained? I imply I simply learn by way of your complete article of yours and it was quite good but since I'm more of a visible learner,I discovered that to be more helpful effectively let me know the way it seems! I love what you guys are all the time up too. Such clever work and reporting! Keep up the nice works guys I've added you guys to my blogroll. This is a nice article thanks for sharing this informative information.. I will visit your blog usually for some latest post. Anyway, in my language, there will not be a lot good supply like this.

link wheel said...

I used to be questioning if you want to be a visitor poster on my web site? and in exchange you might embrace a hyperlink your publish? Please reply once you get a chance and I'll send you my contact particulars - thanks. Anyway, in my language, there aren't much good supply like this.

so dep said...

Incredible submit! This might help lots of folks discover out about this matter. Do you wish to incorporate video clips along with these? It could undoubtedly help out. Your purpose was spot on and owing to you; I probably won't have to explain all the pieces to my pals. I can merely direct them here. Anyway, in my language, there aren't a lot good supply like this.

sim so dep said...

It was a very nice idea! Just wanna say thank you for the information you have shared. Just continue writing this kind of post. I will be your loyal reader. Thanks again.