Friday, December 10, 2010
Ten Commandments For the Office Christmas Party
1. Don't Get Toasted- A drink or two is fine and festive. But when the booze flows freely so does the mouth and attitude. Don't drink too much and regret (or worse yet..wonder) what you said or did with your co-workers.
2. Don't Get Too Cozy- If you observe #1, there will be less likelihood that you will get into trouble with that co-worker, nurse, boss, married man or make inappropriate remarks to the receptionist in the short skirt. Remember it is still the workplace on Monday.
3. Don't Give Bad Gifts- People will remember if your Secret Santa gift was a dud. Do not recycle what was given to you and try to chose wisely. It doesn't have to be expensive to be classy. Avoid clothing and make sure you aren't giving Champagne to a Mormon.
4. Don't Dance Crazy- This isn't Soul Train or Dancing with the Stars. You know what I mean. Remember rule #1
5. Don't Over-Eat- Make a point to hang out on the other side of the room from the buffet table. Try to eat something first so you aren't starved and be conscious of how much you are eating. It's easy to pack away some serious calories unconsciously.
6. Don't Ignore People-This is the time to get to know someone you see all the time but barely know. Mingle with people who aren't in your department and spend time with everyone, not just your pals or the bosses.
7. Don't Wear Inappropriate Clothes-The goofy Santa tie is OK but remember it will be in every photo. Red and Green are really awkward colors together. Are you sure you want to wear them?
8. Don't Dominate the Boss-Polite greetings to the boss and his/her spouse are perfect but if you are hanging with them the entire evening you will be ignoring rule #6. Make sure the boss knows your name, but he probably doesn't want to develop a close relationship at this party.
9. Don't Bring Strangers as Guests - Usually these parties are for the staff and spouses. It is quite fine to go alone and it is hard to integrate a blind date or a casual acquaintance to the office scene without making everyone uncomfortable.
10: Don't talk about Drugs, Sex, Politics, Religion or Co-Workers - You know why.
The Holidays are a time of celebration and relaxation. The Office Party can be a great place to unwind and have fun. It can also be a disaster. Observe these commandments and make it fun.
image from myaspiebrain Nothing like experiencing a medical condition first-hand to really help a doctor understand it from the patient...
Hey, I'm easing back into the blog world after a fun trip to NYC. If you are a Doctor or ever thought you'd enjoy the world of Med...
I love learning something new in medicine and this was a new one for me...black spot poison ivy. Poison ivy (also known as rhus dermatitis...