I could write a blog on that sentence alone!
Jamie Scott has kidney failure and is receiving dialysis three times a week. Her sister could possibly be a kidney donor match even though she has not yet been tested as a donor. Efforts by the N.A.A.C.P. and other grass-roots groups to get them released have finally paid off. Republican Governor Haley Barbour has paroled the sisters on the condition that one donate a kidney to the other. Why did he come to this decision? Because the dialysis treatment is a financial burden to the State of Mississippi.
This story points out so many issues that are just plain wrong.
1. How could two young women get life sentences for armed robbery ($11 with no injury sustained)?
2. Organ donation should be a voluntary act of kindness, not a coerced or business decision.
3. No-one knows the state of these womens health after 16 years in a Mississippi prison.
4. Why does the United States have 5% of the world's population and 25% of the world's prisons?
5. Why do we have a health system that shifts costs from States (Medicaid) to the Feds (Medicare) to the Prisons to the Military (VA) to the private sector? Does this system work? (The answer is NO)
Only in America.