Know Thy Calories
Here is what the guidelines say:
- Restaurants with 20 or more locations must disclose the number of calories in each standard menu item on menus and menu boards. (19 chain locations? You get a pass. Daily specials also get a pass)
- Additional written nutrition information must be available to consumers upon request. (Total fat, saturated fat, cholesterol, sodium sugars, carbs, fiber, protein etc etc)
- The menu must say that the additional nutritional information is available
- The calorie information (per serving or per food item) for self-service items must be on a sign adjacent to each food item.
- Chain vending machines must also show the calories for articles of food.
- 576 calories - Big Mac without cheese
- 320 calories - One slice thin crust pepperoni Domino's Pizza (who only eats one slice?)
- 670 calories - Medium cappuccino blast shake Baskin Robbins
- 280 calories - 4 oz scoop Baskin Robbins Pralines 'n Cream Ice Cream (extra for the cone)
- 217 calories - 1/2 cup Chinese chicken salad from Fresh Choice (who eats 1/2 cup?)
- 142 calories - 1/2 cup zesty Italian spaghetti from Fresh Choice
- 1890 cals - Nachos Grande from Chevys Fresh Mex
- 380 calories - Carnitas soft taco from Chevys Fresh Mex
- 1320 cals - Fajita burrito from Chevys Fresh Mex
- 1060 cals - Either a kids cheese quesadilla or a kiddie cheeseburger from Chevys (!!!)
The jury is out whether this type of information will have an impact on the diets of Americans but at least people can't say they didn't know.