Thursday, February 10, 2011

Big Changes in Breast Cancer Care

I always say that medicine is a dynamic changing field and today's JAMA study on the standard practice of removing lymph nodes in women with cancer is flipping medicine on it's head.  For over 100 years, the standard practice has been to remove cancerous lymph nodes in early stage breast cancer.  It has been common practice to sample these nodes and remove them if there was any evidence of cancer, with the hopes of stopping further spread.  It made common sense and it was done by all surgeons.  Women who had their underarm lymph nodes removed often suffered complications and severe persistent lymphedema arm swelling and pain.  But it was considered the price to be paid to be cured of cancer.

The new study, which examined data from 900 women,  showed no difference in 5 year survival rates between women with lymph nodes removed and those who did not.  These results will change the way we practice medicine.

Cancer is found in lymph nodes in about 1/3 of the 200,000 women with breast cancer in the United States each year.  Even women who have lumpectomy rather than mastectomy, have undergone lymph node removal.   To spare women the complications, doctors sample one "sentinal" node and continue removing them if that shows cancer.  This study shows there is no advantage to removing additional nodes, even if cancer is found.

It should be noted that this study only applies to women with T1 or T2 tumors, meaning small and with no enlarged nodes that could be felt.  It also excluded women with other know metastasis.

But 60-70% of women with breast cancer found in lymph nodes may not need to have those nodes removed and they will be spared additional surgery and complications.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it possible that 5 years isn't long enough to see a statistical difference in survival? Couldn't a few cells in the lymph nodes take years to metastasize further and grow big enough to kill?

BrainDame said...

It is always exciting to have breakthroughs, especially if it means less morbidity for our patients!

Michael Kirsch, M.D. said...

The lesson? In medicine, less is more!!!

Dr. Carrie said...

I agree--In medicine, less is more!!

Jack said...

Chances are the calcium supplement you are taking now is a rock source of calcium. The label will say "calcium carbonate", which is nothing more than limestone. AlgaeCal Plus contains an organic, plant-sourced calcium form derived from a unique South American marine algae called Algas Calcareas™.

link wheel said...

Hello, i learn your blog sometimes and that i own a similar one and i used to be just wondering if you happen to get a variety of spam feedback? In that case how do you prevent it, any plugin or something you may advocate? I'm getting a lot recently it's driving me mad so any assist is very much appreciated. Anyway, in my language, there will not be a lot good supply like this.

linkwheel said...

Completely understand what your stance on this matter. Though I might disagree on a number of the finer details, I think you probably did an awesome job explaining it. Sure beats having to analysis it on my own. Thanks. Anyway, in my language, there aren't a lot good supply like this.

so dep said...

I was wondering if you need to be a guest poster on my web site? and in alternate you could possibly include a hyperlink your publish? Please reply while you get an opportunity and I will ship you my contact details - thanks. Anyway, in my language, there are not much good source like this.

sim so dep said...

Well, that is my very first visit on your weblog! We're a group of volunteers and beginning a brand new initiative in a group throughout the same niche. Your weblog supplied us useful info to work on. You've got carried out a marvellous job! Anyway, in my language, there will not be much good source like this.

gccf said...

Please inform me it worked proper? I dont need to sumit it again if i shouldn't have to! Both the blog glitced out or i'm an idiot, the second choice doesnt shock me lol. thanks for an ideal weblog! Anyway, in my language, there usually are not a lot good supply like this.

gulf coast claims facility said...

Hello, I noticed a 3 of your interesting posted posts and wished to ask in case you would be keen on reciprocal pages? Team have weblog about alexis texas ass! Anyway, in my language, there usually are not much good source like this.

bp claims process said...

Hi, i learn your blog often and that i personal an identical one and i was simply questioning if you get numerous spam comments? If that's the case how do you forestall it, any plugin or something you may recommend? I am getting so much lately it is driving me mad so any help is very a lot appreciated. Anyway, in my language, there will not be a lot good supply like this.

bp claims said...

I used to be on the lookout for essential information on this subject. The information was necessary as I am about to launch my own portal. Thanks for offering a lacking link in my business. Anyway, in my language, there should not a lot good supply like this.

puertas metalicas said...

The writer is totally fair, and there's no doubt.

www.muebles-en-huesca.com said...

Thanks so much for the article, quite useful material.