Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Hardest Image Challenge

 Q:  A prolapse such as this can be effectively reduced by applying what common household substance to the tissue?
1.  Baking powder
2.  Flour
3.  Salt
4.  Sugar
5.  Tea


This is the hardest image challenge from the New England Journal Of  Medicine that I have seen.  Fellow physicians, and EverythingHealth readers, I want you to go out on a limb and give me the answer. 

For you non-physicians, this is a colostomy and that is a piece of bowel that is outside of the body.  It is connected and can be pushed (reduced) back in where it belongs.  Also, it is not really painful for the patient, although it looks really really bad.

Make your choice and the answer will be posted tomorrow.  (click on the image for a better view)

(Sign up on the right side of this page as a subscriber to get an email link for new posts!)

16 comments:

BrainDame said...

I'ld have to guess baking soda! Not something a neurosurgeon has to deal with much-thankfully!

Recess Is Over said...

I'm guessing Salt because it pulls out moisture.

Frank Irwin said...

I've heard really good things about sugar on cuts, so I'll go with that.

I learned on M*A*S*H that the tannin in tea can be bad....

KM said...

This is a really tough one. I'm guessing 3. salt because of it being healing.

wedding photographers bristol said...

It's really very Tough. I can't Decided that, Which is this. But i think it's salt.

Doccory said...

You can use hypertonic solutions of salt OR sugar, but mixing it right can be tricky and applying it, messy. Actually sprinkling a few packets of sugar on this is an easily accessible, harmless way to reduce swelling by osmosis.

Dr Paula said...

I think sugar would work.

Raymond Bouchayer said...

I'll go with Tea

sherri said...

I think it's sugar.

Nurse Dave said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
PA Dave said...

To reduce a prolapse, apply granulated sugar (sugar substitutes won't work) to the prolapse, and let the sugar sit for approximately 20 minutes. The sugar will absorb the extra water causing the prolapse to shrink, allowing the prolapse to be reduced.

Toni Brayer, MD said...

Good guess, all of you. PA Dave: You nailed it. (as did Dr. Paula and Sherri) Doccory, you got the osmosis part right on! Frank, I think you guessed but you guessed correctly!

I admit sugar was my very last choice!

Frank Irwin said...

It was an educated guess! My education coming from people who swear by putting sugar on cuts. :-)

Salina said...

Frank Irwin is cheater person and he is spammer...

www.colchones.cn said...

It can't actually work, I believe so.

Horatio said...

It won't really have effect, I consider like this.
here|this site|at this shop|weight loss pills-|-|-|-random-} | here|this site|at this shop|erectile dysfunction-|-|-|-random-} | here|this site|at this shop|weight loss pills-|-|-|-random-}