Thursday, May 19, 2011

This Weeks Medical Challenge

It's time again to test your diagnostic skill with the New England Journal of Medicine image challenge. (click on the image to see up close)   The nodule formed in this young woman in the umbilical (naval) area and bled intermittently.  What is the diagnosis?

1.  Endometrioma
2.  Metastatic adenocarcinoma
3.  Omphalith
4.  Umbilical hernia
5.  Urachal cyst

Give me your best answer as a comment and I will post the answer with fascinating learning points tomorrow.

15 comments:

Dr. Know said...

I think it is #2 metastatic carcinoma. Great images and I like this blog

DO said...

Hmmm...Urachal cyst. I want to see it drain urine...

KM said...

I think it is #2 Metastatic adenocarcinoma

Dr Paula said...

Endometrioma. The key is "intermittent bleeding"

Doccory said...

Endometroma: young, female, intermittant bleeding.

Raymond Bouchayer said...

I'll go with # 5

abnormalfacies said...

I have to go with metastatic carcinoma.

Bleeding, yes, but the fact that there's no mention of its relation to the menstrual cycle (or pain) allows me to rank endometrioma lower than a met to that famous node that shall not be named.

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see what the answer is!

girls accompagnatrici milano said...

Thanks for this post, quite helpful material.

un sex shop said...

Hey, there's a great deal of helpful information above!

Raphael said...

Hey, there is so much worthwhile info above!
propecia | order Propecia | buy valtrex

Anonymous said...

How much of an amazing submissions are this and surely it can make realize each and everybody who look at this. Please keep posting so fantastic and useful suggestions ….I truly be thankful.
Medical Assistant Jobs

www.huelva-3d.com said...

It won't succeed as a matter of fact, that's what I believe.

contactos valencia said...

The dude is completely just, and there is no skepticism.

Anonymous said...

What medical treatment that needs with this?

Mine is bleeding. Please advise.