Summer Fresh Tomato Pasta
6-8 tomatoes chopped
5 tbs extra virgin olive oil
Juice of 1/2 fresh lemon
1 chopped clove garlic
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
Salt and pepper
1lb spaghetti pasta
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
In a large bowel mix the tomatoes in the olive oil. Add lemon juice, basil, salt and pepper.
Cook the spaghetti al-dente in a large pot of water
Drain pasta and immediately toss with the tomatoes.
Top with cheese and enjoy
- You can make this recipe even more healthy by adding 1 cup of chopped zucchini
- Olive Oil and Canola Oil are the only cooking oils you will need in your pantry. Both are heart healthy
- If you are dieting or want to avoid the 225 calories in 1 cup of spaghetti, substitute spaghetti squash (only 40 calories/cup) for a really healthy dish.
- Tomatoes have the highest content of Lycopene of any fruit or vegetable. Lycopene acts as an anti-oxidant in the body and helps fight cancer and heart disease
- Tomatoes should not be refrigerated as they loose their consistency and flavor. Keep them in a cool place and eat as soon as you can after picking