Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Medical Challenge

This weeks medical challenge from the New England Journal of Medicine is a hard one.  Patients come all the time with nail problems and most are easy to diagnose.  Full disclosure to my readers...I missed this one.   A couple of hints...all of the nails are obviously affected.  Click on the image to enlarge and make your diagnosis in the comments section.   I will post the answer tomorrow so be sure to check back and see how you did.

1. Melanoma
2. Onychomycosis (fungus)
3. Psoriasis
4. Yellow-nail syndrome
5.  Zinc deficiency

Good luck!


10 comments:

Rich Girl Red said...

I'm going with yellow nail syndrome. (And pray I never contract it!)

Linda F Slawson said...

I think it is yellow-nail syndrome.

KM said...

I guess #1-melanoma

Frank Irwin said...

Yellow-nail syndrome seems too obvious. I wouldn't think that melanoma would affect all fingers. I'm going with Onychomycosis (fungus).

gradydoctor said...

Looks like yellow nail syndrome to me. Isn't it some kind of issue with the lymphatics? Can't remember. Just remember that it looks like that.

Anonymous said...

Looks like No.2 to me.

LeRoi Johnson said...

LeRoi Johnson thinks it is fungus.

Jennifer said...

I guess yellow nail syndrome

Jim said...

This is tricky because the fact that it's a NEJM image challenge makes you want to choose something more obscure..

Without a history, I choose 2. Onychomycosis.

Otherwise, I'd expect it to be yellow nail syndrome. It's easier to rule out the others based on appearance and the fact that all digits are involved.

Jim

best robiotics said...

Symptoms show that it really is a yellow-nail syndrome and I think it is real one too.