Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Heavy Menstrual Bleeding

Heavy menstrual bleeding is common and 10% of all women experience it in their reproductive years.  Women who are NOT in menopause and who have heavy bleeding that occurs during their regular cycle usually have a benign reason for the bleeding.   Fibroids and endometrial polyps are common causes of heavy bleeding periods.

Menorrhagia is the medical term for abnormally heavy periods.  This bleeding is often associated with severe cramps.  What is considered heavy?  Soaking through one or more sanitary pads or tampons every hour for several hours or needing to wake up during the night to change protection is heavy.  Bleeding for longer than a week or passing blood clots is abnormal also.  Menorrhagia should be evaluated by a physician to rule out polyps, bleeding disorders and other medical conditions like pelvic inflammatory disease, endometriosis or thyroid problems.

Once reversible causes have been excluded, most women respond to treatment with oral contraceptives to regulate hormones and minimize bleeding.  For women who do not want to go on the pill, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) are very effective in reducing blood flow and cramps.  The best choice is Naproxen at 500mg twice a day.  Ponstel is another drug that is effective for bleeding and hormone associated migraine headaches.

Women who took Naproxen were 10 times more likely to report an improvement in symptoms compared with placebo and there was a 30% reduction in blood flow.  Naproxen is cheap and does not require a prescription. (Aleve)

4 comments:

Noah Berkowitz said...

Finally, I found the blog that can help to explain to my sister why she experiencing heavy bleeding during her menstrual period. Most of the time when her menstrual is coming she is very scared, so I try to search on so that I can help her in some ways.

Nurse Job said...

I want to congratulate you for this great blog, the truth came to this by coincidence, but I've read several articles and I like fabulous, I hope you continue well.

A hug.

v/vmary said...

aleve has helped me and now i no longer have anemia. i believe the cause of my heavy periods in von willebrand disease- a bleeding disorder. when i had my tonsils out, i had severe bleeding that caused me to go into the hospital again. the same with my first pregnancy- excessive bleeding/passing clots. looking back i see evidence of excessive bleeding in my mother as well. she had anemia from bleeding from hemorrhoids and needed surgery for them. this disease has different degrees of severity. also, it is just one of the possible causes of heavy menstrual bleeding.

Cindy Dy said...

I enjoy most of your articles,the articles are so nice for readers.

Nersha
www.gofastek.com