Monday, December 10, 2012

RxTimer Cap

EverythingHealth get's PR pitches on a daily basis...companies and PR agencies wanting me to cover their latest product, book, speaker or start-up.  You can't buy your way into my endorsement but I have found something that I tried and I want to share it with you.  It is a new smart cap that fits on a regular prescription pill bottle and it is called RxTimer Cap:

I know how hard it is for patients to keep track of their medications and it is the number one cause of preventable medical harm.  Medications are prescribed "once a day", "twice daily", "every 8 hours", "AM and PM with meals or any number of confusing regimens.  Many patients are taking 10 or more prescription medications A DAY!  Of course it is confusing.  I take just one prescription pill a day and even I forget if I already took it or not.  That's where Timer Caps come in.

They come in various sizes and just become the new cap on any pharmacy pill bottle.  Each cap has a built-in LCD timer that works like a stopwatch and tells the patient how long it has been since they last took their medication.  Wonder if you took that noon pill?  Just look at the cap.

The battery in the cap is programed to last up to one year.  Although they recommend a new cap for each prescription, I have been using mine for 3 months and just putting it on the new month bottle.

I really like the RxTimer Cap and think it is a great innovation to help patients adhere to medications.
Check it out.  It might make a good Holiday present (along with some good Chocolate or Wine) for that friend or relative who takes lots of pills.

4 comments:

KM said...

Sounds like a usefull item that would help me also with my one medication. Thanks for the 3 month review. Where do you get them?

Anonymous said...

This is a fantastic find. Only slightly tech-y, but very usable it seems. I'm going to keep this product in mind!

anonymous said...

A great idea very poorly executed. I bought 8 of them, and within a month, only one was still working. When I went back to Bartell's where I bought them, they had stopped carrying them.

anonymous said...

A great idea very poorly executed. I bought 8 of them, and within a month, only one was still working. When I went back to Bartell's where I bought them, they had stopped carrying them.