Things Doctors Do (That Normal People don't)
I have been too swamped to blog recently on EverythingHealth, spending lots of time with my physician colleagues (as well as patients). I realized that doctors are really not normal when it comes to a few things. Here is a list of things doctors do that normal people don't. You may have more to add!
- Eat standing up, while walking or while charting on patients
- Take expired medication (we know that expiration date is phony)
- Work hard-core, even when sick
- Don't get regular check-ups
- Cannot watch doctor TV shows (House is especially intolerable)
- Freely discuss body functions at dinner. Nothing is off limits
- Silently diagnose medical conditions on strangers. No lump or rash goes unnoticed.
- Combine vacations with work
- When we shake hands, think "Oh, that's a nice vein"
- When our child is hemorrhaging, we can fix anything with steri-strips
- Seldom use antibiotics on ourselves or family
- Listen to lectures and medical information while commuting
- Take suitcases full of journals to catch up on when on vacation
- Carry stethoscope, and full medical supplies in our trunk because "you never know"
- Seldom take vitamins or supplements